Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I new something would finally happen to my Titan someday just wasn't expecting this .

So here's what happen . I got a set of stainless steel gauges and went to install them . I have a CC 07' no center console . So I put the emergency brake on and go to work taking the dash apart. In order to get the gauge bezel off you have to take the shifter out of park . So I'm working away and the next thing I know I'm rolling backwards out of my garage . Long story short my door caught the 2 x 6 jam of the garage and tweaked it in the other direction . I don't know what to do now ? Call my insurance or just try and get another door. It took some convincing just to get it to close again. I love my Titan but that sucked . I don't know if anyone has had issues with the e-brake . I swear I had it on but truthfully I don't know how far down because it releases after so far.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to make everyone aware . If your doing anything around the shifter put something behind the wheels. I think I just got a $1500 if not more set of gauges in my truck .

P.S. The gauges look sweet . The one good thing of the day.

Chad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,154 Posts
ProjectTitan007 said:
Well I new something would finally happen to my Titan someday just wasn't expecting this .

So here's what happen . I got a set of stainless steel gauges and went to install them . I have a CC 07' no center console . So I put the emergency brake on and go to work taking the dash apart. In order to get the gauge bezel off you have to take the shifter out of park . So I'm working away and the next thing I know I'm rolling backwards out of my garage . Long story short my door caught the 2 x 6 jam of the garage and tweaked it in the other direction . I don't know what to do now ? Call my insurance or just try and get another door. It took some convincing just to get it to close again. I love my Titan but that sucked . I don't know if anyone has had issues with the e-brake . I swear I had it on but truthfully I don't know how far down because it releases after so far.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to make everyone aware . If your doing anything around the shifter put something behind the wheels. I think I just got a $1500 if not more set of gauges in my truck .

P.S. The gauges look sweet . The one good thing of the day.

Chad
If on a incline the E- brakes will only hold so much weight, as you very well know now....Mine works great on flat or a slight incline, but if the incline gets to steep the truck will need to be scotched....Good luck with the door, that really sucks.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
dude that really sucks a**. I would try the e-brake again and if fails , I would contact your dealer. I would think they would have to do something if there is a problem with the e-brake. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried it again and it works on the flat . My truck was in my garage so only enough incline to shed water .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,154 Posts
ProjectTitan007 said:
I tried it again and it works on the flat . My truck was in my garage so only enough incline to shed water .
A standard garage should have about 2-4 inches of fall towards the door depending on the depth .....If the E-brake failed on that slight of a incline the cable needs adjusting badly.......Good Luck..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,417 Posts
titan4740 said:
dude that really sucks a**. I would try the e-brake again and if fails , I would contact your dealer. I would think they would have to do something if there is a problem with the e-brake. Good luck.
The purpose of the emergency brake is not to act solo on inclines.

The brake can be tightened but it will never stop the vehicle from rolling on such an incline.

Sorry to hear about you mishap. Unless they can perfectly unbend the hinges, I would get a new door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if since that truck is an 07' you can order the drivers door in Silver (K12 I think straight from the factory ) to have it installed ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I very much doubt you could order a pre-painted door; just no demand for them that way, as normally anything needing a door replaced will also need painting elsewhere.

I would start by looking at the door hinge adjustments (if there are any) to see if it moved on the hinges or if it can be tweaked back. Maybe go by a body shop to see what they say. This should be covered by the comprehensive part of your insurance policy (less deductible).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I just got an estimate and the new doors don't come painted. The shop
said it would be less labor just to fix and repaint the old door. I just hope that the color match is good . The truck is brand new it should be good. Anyway $980 and a lesson learned . Don't take e-brake for granted. Should have it back by next Wednesday. My deductable is $500.00 so I am debaiting even getting the insurance involved for the other $480.00. I don't know but I'm glad it'll be back to good next week.

Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,182 Posts
The E-brake should hold even on a very steep incline.

If it doesn't, it is out of adjustment, (or you have an axle seal leaking and the fluid has lubed the E-brake .. happened last summer on my Titan's right rear seal).

When I first got the Titan, the E-Brake wouldn't hold on a hill, (my driveway), but I had mine adjusted, and every since, have always set it with the truck in neutral, and gradually let off the normal brake pedal, then put the transmission into park ... because I don't want the weight of the truck on the transmission.

Wouldn't be much of an "emergency brake" if it won't even hold a parked truck. :eek:

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
sorry about this..

you should never rely on your e-brake to hold the vehicle when it is not in park you are just asking for trouble. If you need to work on your truck and have to have it out of park then you should chalk the rear wheels to keep it from rolling. That is just plain safety.

Once again sorry dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Here's a tip from an old phart. When parked on an incline always set your emergency brake first before putting the vehicle in park. Failure to follow that procedure might snap off the parking pawl in the transmission..not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
It's a parking brake and not an emergency brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Nissan Mike said:
Though you are correct,these are Titans we are talking about,unfortunately the parking brake may be your emergency brake someday!!!
Only if you have some hack Nissan dealer work on your truck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
Emergency brake is a Ford term...my bad...shouldn'ta used it on a Titan site...what do you expect from a former Ford parts dummy? I'll be more careful next time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,128 Posts
My understanding from talking to body shop guys is that it is difficult to get a good match by painting just the door and that they typically also paint adjacent panels to blend in the new color.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top