Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had some new BF Goodrich All Terrain KO installed yesterday and noticed how much more stiff the ride was meaning I was feeling every bump. I just checked the air pressure and found all four tires set to 50psi. Is this normal?

What do others run theirs at?

Also, I am getting the low air pressure light on while driving. At what PSI do that dummy light go off?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just got some also off a member of TT. I noticed that the tires were low when I put them on. I went to fill them up and it said on the sidwall 65psi. I dont know if that is max or what is recomended. I put 50 psi but I feel every bump and the truck seems to be more sensitive to wind and turns on the hwy.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
try 35-37 lbs. they should be softer than the stockers. Wait, what size did you get? i want to get those same tires but wondering if i should get bigger or not

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
33's should be like stock i guess. i have the leveling spacer now so im sure i could fit 35's just not sure how much heavier they are for performance sake. wish u lived out here i would buy the 33's off you

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 285/65/18 and have the leveling kit. 2.5 front 1 in. back

You're correct about feeling every bump and being blown around on a windy day (such as today).

I guess I should try lowering the pressure.

Exactly what pressure do the low air sensors pick up at?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I could be off, but I think I recall seeing/hearing they go off at about 28psi. Anybody else chime in if I am off.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have the same tires - been running them for the last 8000 miles. After trying every possible air presure setting from 35 - 60 lbs I have finally settled on 40 psi as most balanced between ride and handling on my 2005 CC. I hope this helps. At this presure setting I am very happy with the BFG TKO tires. I have DR's in front and Billsteins in back which also helped tame the ride. Suspension set to level front to rear.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
royr said:
I have the same tires - been running them for the last 8000 miles. After trying every possible air presure setting from 35 - 60 lbs I have finally settled on 40 psi as most balanced between ride and handling on my 2005 CC. I hope this helps. At this presure setting I am very happy with the BFG TKO tires. I have DR's in front and Billsteins in back which also helped tame the ride. Suspension set to level front to rear.
I have the BFG AT/KO's in stock tire size and run them at 40 psi for highway driving and 25 psi for off-road...

I have noticed that heat does indeed increased psi in the tire so I check mine regularly...

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I run 34 psi in the front and 32 in the rear. The tps triggers @ 28 psi as stated already.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
ya if ur driving around with the bed empty most of the time you can get away with having 3-5 less lbs in the back. every tire is diferent. Man i looked at tires today and they are so expensive now!! dam oil companies!

Anybody know the weight of the 265/70/18 or 285/70/18's? tires only ? (BFG a/t ko's)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well to each their own...

I have run these tires on both my Nissan Hardbodies, in total with more than 300,000 miles of experience, dating back to before they added the KO to the name and the refined knock out tread design.

You buy a tire like this for the strength of the sidewall and the durability of the construction, and then you turn around and put 30 some psi in it? That's wacko in my book. Get the pressures up to at least 45 and take advantage of the tires design. If you want a soft ride I suspect you are rolling on the wrong tire.

Oh, one other note, a tire run at a low pressure creates more friction on the pavement, this increased friction translates to heat and that will speed up the wearing process. In other words, ya run em low, ya wear em out faster. Sure seems to me at the price they sell for you would want them to last.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Quad T said:
Well to each their own...

I have run these tires on both my Nissan Hardbodies, in total with more than 300,000 miles of experience, dating back to before they added the KO to the name and the refined knock out tread design.

You buy a tire like this for the strength of the sidewall and the durability of the construction, and then you turn around and put 30 some psi in it? That's wacko in my book. Get the pressures up to at least 45 and take advantage of the tires design. If you want a soft ride I suspect you are rolling on the wrong tire.

Oh, one other note, a tire run at a low pressure creates more friction on the pavement, this increased friction translates to heat and that will speed up the wearing process. In other words, ya run em low, ya wear em out faster. Sure seems to me at the price they sell for you would want them to last.
With a 7.5 or 8" rim width, I found 34/32 psi to wear perfectly. It doesn't crown the tire so much that it wears out the center tread quickly. But if you tow a lot, I would suggest keeping the psi up.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Quad T said:
^ Still too soft for my taste.
Tire pressure doesn't make much difference to me as long as two things are kept in check:
1) It doesn't set off the stupid TPS
2) The tread wears evenly

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
9 lbs. psi in soft sand, 35-45 for normal/no loads, 65 psi for maximum load rating, LT285/70/17. Btw, the P-rated tires are mostly 35 to 43 psi maximum, and increasing their psi will not increase their load capacity and can cause failure.

Note: to match the passenger rated OEM P285/70/17 BFG Rugged Trails maximum load, at maximum inflation of 35 psi, at 2833 lbs. the BFG AT KO LT285/70/17 must have about 54 psi. After 54 lbs. increasing the psi on the LT tire does give more load capacity, up to 3195 lbs. at 65 psi.

This chart shows what psi match for the load and size of the tire. Although it isn't by BFG, from many of the sizes and maximum load ratings that I've seen, these appear to be industry standard:
*Replacement Tire Selection Manual - Bridgestone Firestone TECHNICAL BULLETIN August 2006 Ref. No. P-06-01 (Repl P-03-11)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yellomantis said:
Tire pressure doesn't make much difference to me as long as two things are kept in check:
1) It doesn't set off the stupid TPS
2) The tread wears evenly
Understood, and thoseare fine criterias for many people I'm sure. I'm all about to each his own. Tire pressure makes a huge difference to me though. Without the pressure up the strength of the sidewall design is not being fully appreciated. Sidewall stiffness means better steering responce and the vehicles ability to take advantage of the suspension in a more direct link. Yes, it is a truck, but what applies to my life on the race track in the car, applies to each and every vehicle I own, I just can't help myself. To me soft rides are for people who drive Buicks...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Swarrens got it right. The psi is pounds per square inch, which emans if it a standard p-metric and not an xl capacity or an lt rated tire, go with the plakard on your car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts