Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I did MY first oil change. I let the dealer do the first one. 4200 miles on the odometer for me...

I installed a K&N filter. Just a filter, not a new airbox.

I put in Amsoil 5w30 and a K&N oil filter.

WOW! Big difference. The engine quieted down SIGNIFICANTLY. The only noise I hear now are the injectors. That's the way it ought to be.

Low end torque has been IMPROVED. I think K&N filters are usually bunk, filtering better than paper when dirty, but not really any better when new. However, my truck stays in 5th MUCH MORE than it used to, even climbing inclines, maintaining speed at 45! I'm very happy. The differences are subtle, but are definitely there. I like a lot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amsoil

Hey Steve were are you buying Amsoil? I haven't seen that oil at any of the stores around here [San Antonio] Thanx for any help! :rockon

·
Registered
101 Posts
awright

stevnmd said:
On Sunday I did MY first oil change. I let the dealer do the first one. 4200 miles on the odometer for me...

I installed a K&N filter. Just a filter, not a new airbox.

I put in Amsoil 5w30 and a K&N oil filter.

WOW! Big difference. The engine quieted down SIGNIFICANTLY. The only noise I hear now are the injectors. That's the way it ought to be.

Low end torque has been IMPROVED. I think K&N filters are usually bunk, filtering better than paper when dirty, but not really any better when new. However, my truck stays in 5th MUCH MORE than it used to, even climbing inclines, maintaining speed at 45! I'm very happy. The differences are subtle, but are definitely there. I like a lot!
Amsoil 5w30 and a K&N airFilter cool..wondering if my dealer would have any issue's with these?..Just got mine last week..lol..120miles and 3 free oil changes, :haveredfl

·
Registered
46 Posts
What is Nissan's stance on using synthetics in their vehicles?

I had read once on a website somewhere in internet land... where the Nissan owner was going to be charged for repairs that should have been covered under the drivetrain warranty. Turned out the dealer stated the drivetrain warranty had been voided since the user had used synthetic oil in their engine.

I also read that once you go synthetic you can never go back. I also understand its best to go synthetic during the first initial miles of the engine (after the first oil change) rather than after the engine has attained considerable amount of mileage.

Heck... I'm not a mechanic so not an authority... GRIN Just bringing up some thoughts on the topic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
oil

:cheers:
maverick17 said:
What is Nissan's stance on using synthetics in their vehicles?

I had read once on a website somewhere in internet land... where the Nissan owner was going to be charged for repairs that should have been covered under the drivetrain warranty. Turned out the dealer stated the drivetrain warranty had been voided since the user had used synthetic oil in their engine.

I also read that once you go synthetic you can never go back. I also understand its best to go synthetic during the first initial miles of the engine (after the first oil change) rather than after the engine has attained considerable amount of mileage.

Heck... I'm not a mechanic so not an authority... GRIN Just bringing up some thoughts on the topic.
:smoke: yeah I'll go with the dealers oil for the free 1's what the hay.Dont think they can mess my warranty up for a K&N air filter though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
No, they can't void the warrenty for using synthetic oil. Maybe for a really off weight or not enough or too much oil, but not for any kind or brand of oil.

No, switching to synth doesn't mean you have to stay with synth. understanding the basic differences between synth and dino answer a lot of these urban myths about oil floating around the internet.

The biggest difference in my mind is the molucule chains (vs. naturally occuring in dino). They are longer and uniform so they break down slower (in dino, since created by mother nature are of random length and strength).

Doesn't make it any more "slippery". That's what the additives do (which are added to both dino and synth).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I read somewhere that air filters using an "oil bath" could void a warranty... I believe, though, this was posted for GM's... The KN's have much better air flow and improved performance, but I am not sure how well they filter out contaminants...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have lived by synthetics for ten years, but right now in the Titan I am using conventional Chevron with the Nissan oil filter, not only is the Nissan oil filter by-pass valve guaranteed but it’s rated for correct psi, & proper filtration. I recall a website that was pulled that compared common store brand oil filters & it was good reading and scary. Haven’t really kept up on the subject but here are some common thoughts as I recall.

1. Allow your engine to break in thoroughly (subjective) 7,000-10,000 before using synthetic. This is to allow primarily rings to set properly or better thoroughly.
2. In older engines switching to synthetic may help remove sludge that has otherwise prevented an oil gasket leak. You switch & it leaks, but it’s not necessarily caused by the use of synthetic. Likewise suddenly you may have a lot of sludge moving around “could be a real problem” where before it was settled doing little harm & plugging a potential leak.
3. Even though synthetic may allow for greater drain intervals, you may still be required by the manufacturer to follow prescribed drain intervals regardless.
4. Years ago compatibility was a problem particularly for some gaskets they may swell “it still may be, I don’t know” but I tend to think this is no longer a problem.
5. Synthetic may not be the correct choice for certain transmission, I know certain Dodge & Mitsubishis require specific modifiers & this may be true for some transfer case, and diffs.

The above is only what I believed to be true long.. long time ago, whoever can enlighten please do so. Thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
TITANATOR said:
Hey Steve were are you buying Amsoil? I haven't seen that oil at any of the stores around here [San Antonio] Thanx for any help! :rockon
You'll never find Amsoil in a regular store like KMART or WalMart. You have to go to a performance shop. A lot of them carry it. Or like I mentioned in a previous post you can sign up to be a dealer for like $15.00 bucks. And you don't need to sell you can just use that to get a discount on your purchase of Amsoil products. They make synthetics for ATV's, oil filters, they got tranny oil everything.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
(((Just got mine last week..lol..120miles and 3 free oil changes, )))

What!!!! I got 2 years free oil changes!!! Go back and tell them you want a free oil change coupon book. Each coupon has a milage number on it, when you hit that milage take it in and they change it for free.

·
Registered
795 Posts
air box mod

What I've seen done on other cars is cut another hole in the airbox and provide more cold air source. I think you could cut a fairly big hole in the grill side of the airbox and then remove that piece of flexible flap near the forward side of the windshield wiper tank. That should let in a lot of air direct from the grill that should make an easier inhale for the motor. juma

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in northern Minnesota you can get amsoil at any napa parts store. If they don't have what you need they will get it for you. Don't know if it is the same where your at but just a suggestion for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have used Amsoil in all of my vehicles in the past. I was told that it's better to break the engine in before using Amsoil, because the lube qualities of the synthetics won't accomodate the "breakin' in" period.:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts