Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been reading here for a while but this is my first post and I've got a big problem. I have a 2004 Titan with 117000 mile on it, the normal cracked exhaust manifolds, bad cats etc but now its using oil like crazy. I change my oil at least every 3500 miles and it is getting time for another service but as I was driving in town the other day I noticed my oil pressure gauge dip to low a few times and then stayed down there fluctuating a little. I pulled over to check the level and it didnt read on the stick, It ended up being over 4 quarts low! The next day I checked it and it was down another quart and a half, and today it was down one quart. It's burning it because today it started sputtering and chugging like the cats were plugged( witch they are now) and I stuck my finger in the tail pipe and its just coated with burnt oil/tar. So my question is, do I now have a good looking pile of junk in my driveway and how am I going to hide this problem long enough for the dealership to accept it in on trade? I just want to scream and cry because I really thought I was buying a very good used truck when I got this and didnt want to go 30 grand in debt right now but I think if I'm going to get ride of this its now or never.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The typical scenario is IPDM ECM relay fails, truck cranks a lot, but does not start, dumping unburned fuel into cats, cats fail and disintegrate, grit from cats gets back sucked into engine, engine starts burning lots of oil. Usual solution is install of used engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. This is the first problem I've had with this truck and It literally happened overnight. Guess I'll try another one, I haven't found a truck that I like better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, upon further investigation I'm going to say your right. My cats are gone, all my plugs are sooty black and a few have actual oil deposits burnt on with one plug being wet(oil). Compression test showed all cylinders right around 185 +/- 5 psi and if what I read was true, the min. allowable is 220? There is no way I can cover up this problem long enough to trade it in and I'm not spending $1500-2000 on a used engine that more than likely has the same problem so I'd like to rebuild the one I have. Does anyone know the best (cheapest)place to get an engine kit or individual parts for the 5.6?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Is there a way to flush the excess oil out of the exhaust system? Like maybe using a very rich treatment of Seafoam? That way you would at least reduce the smoke from the exhaust. I'm guessing that if your cylinder pressure is so bad that it's going to continue to spew oil into the exhaust but at this point what do you have to lose?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You can always try snake oil:

Restore USA - Engine Restorer

Amazon.com: Restore RES60019 Engine Restorer 8 Cylinder. 19 oz.: Automotive

"If you have a problem with excessive blowby the Restore stuff will make it smoke less for about a hundred miles. Thats the only benefit I have ever seen from it. Some of the less scurpulous car lots use that kind of stuff to pass off a bad car."

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/500-472-425-368/15105-restore-engine-restorer-cadillac-v8.html

The dealer probably buys it by the pallet. :jester:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I thought about trying some restore and super thick oil just to dump it but well see. I just happened to see a craigslist ad of someone who has an engine out of an 06 with 65000 miles on it and is asking $1000. I left a message with him and am waiting for a response. He must have a wrecked one because he has quite a few parts listed. If I could get it cheap and it checked out good I think that would be the way to go, my truck is really in excellent condition for an 04 and I really didnt want to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If you get a good used engine, it should be ok. There are quite a few people > 200,000 miles on the original engine. I think the engine is durable, it is the crappy cats located right on the exhaust manifolds that are the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts