Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating getting the tow package simply for the VDC. I have no plans for heavy towing.

Is any one aware of relative MPG with/without Big Tow?

I noticed that the stickers show the same, but I don't believe it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 4X4 Offroad Big Tow did 14.2 mostly city driving. It seems to be improving each tank now. I have 2600 miles on mine. You can compare it to my 99 Z71 regular cab 4X4 that averaged 16 under the same circumstances. It would do 20 mpg highway only. My first few tanks were not good. Partially because it is so much fun to drive. This thing really accelerates!
I have a modded 87 Buick Grand National that is a lot faster but, I think the Titan is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are some people on the GM sites that think their 4.10 geared 1/2 ton trucks get better fuel mileage than the 3.73 geared trucks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
lead foot

i'm a lead foot. no plans to change.
one day i got over 15 mpg on the highway (I5) for few hours.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The big tow has the same lower gear ratio as the off road package that my titan has and I get 12-13.5 mpg on average (mostly 30-50 mph roads with stop lights or stop signs) at 2400 miles. Mileage varies according to traffic and weather (actually went up to about 13.5 when it snowed and I was in four wheel drive). I would recommend doing without the Big Tow if you definitely won't need it. Gas mileage will be better. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the tow package on an SE CC and have had a couple of tanks check 16.4 and 16.9 mpg straight hiway at 65 to 75 mph. Run 15.3 to 15.8 mpg combined city and hiway. Still breaking in at 1144 miles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is an excellent article about this in the March issue of Trailer Boats magazine. According to a GM drivetrain engineer, the lower ratios have very little effect on city mileage, but at 70mph you may lose 1.5mpg by going to a 4.10 rear end in a Chevy Silverado. He stated that the biggest fuel economy killer is speed. The faster you drive, the worse your mileage. In their testing, a pickup that gets 19.5mpg at 52mph gets only 14mpg at 70mph.

·
Registered
780 Posts
thx, outahere

outahere said:
There is an excellent article about this in the March issue of Trailer Boats magazine. According to a GM drivetrain engineer, the lower ratios have very little effect on city mileage, but at 70mph you may lose 1.5mpg by going to a 4.10 rear end in a Chevy Silverado. He stated that the biggest fuel economy killer is speed. The faster you drive, the worse your mileage. In their testing, a pickup that gets 19.5mpg at 52mph gets only 14mpg at 70mph.
thanks for the info., outahere.
since i usually drive around 80~85 mph i expected the 14~15 mpg on the highway

·
Registered
250 Posts
pluckyew said:
thanks for the info., outahere.
since i usually drive around 80~85 mph i expected the 14~15 mpg on the highway
LOL Pluckyew, how have you managed to avoid the CHP? Are you using a radar detector?

Aerodynamic drag goes up as the square of the speed, which is why mileage decreases so rapidly with speed. And the huge mirrors on the Titan are also mileage killers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Chp

how have you managed to avoid the CHP? Are you using a radar detector?

.[/QUOTE]

not yet (on radar detector) just dumb luck, so far that CHP hasn't nailed me. ..it'll come..maybe this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts