Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the big tow pkg - did you get the tongue and ball hitch with your Titan?

Mine didn't come with those parts and the dealer says it wasn't part of the pkg. Dealer also said the Armadas don't come with those either. Seems odd that the Big Tow Pkg isn't ready for towing straight out of the lot.
:huh:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
No, the Titan doesn't come with ball, ball mount or the round to flat wire adapter. A trip to Walmart or Lowes will set you up. I went to a truck accessory place and bought a Convert-a-Ball which I really like. It can switch between 17/8", 2", and 25/16"? easily without tools. This comes in handy if I am pulling something that doesn't belong to me.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It's realy hard to know what EVERYONE needs for towing so better to leave it up to the end user to get the right hitch accessories to match thier needs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Karl, Derwud.....thanks for the education. Good information. I am in no way complaining about the Big Tow, saved me at least a grand the way I look at it. The truck tows awesome, I just have had bad experience with the 4L80 (GM) auto when it gets hot so I was hoping that this Titan had the bases covered. I guess my first run out to the river in July will tell me alot. In the meantime I will go check out the non Big Tow for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
All Titans come with Trans Coolers both Internal and External. The External unit is located in the upper right hand corner, between the Radiator and Condensor. The Radiator is bigger with Tow as well

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Sabre66 said:
What did all that cost you?

After parting with all the cash for the Titan i'd hate to shell out another $300 just for accessories that should have come with the package.
Ball mounts are $20.00-$30.00 depending on how much drop you want. Chrome and Stainless steel will cost more.

Convert-a- balls are $29.93 for two balls and $44.95 for 3 balls. Go to www.hitchballs.com for more info.

I think the round to flatwire converter was around $14.00

You will need a pin to hold the ball mount to the receiver hitch: about $8.00 - $25.00 depending if you buy one that has a lock and key built in to keep it all from getting stolen.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Derwud said:
All Titans come with Trans Coolers both Internal and External. The External unit is located in the upper right hand corner, between the Radiator and Condensor. The Radiator is bigger with Tow as well
Thanks for the info Derwud. I just checked the owners manual and I find it odd they don't mention different ATF and coolant capacities for the big tow package. Common sense would say both systems hold more.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yes, thats for Class III stuff though I believe. To make it a true class IV which will give you the full 9500 pds tow capacity and the toungue wieght ability to 1500pds, you will have to get the class 4 setup. Take a look at courtesynissan.com (There is one of the setups on there).

Chris

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Bayou Titan said:
Ball mounts are $20.00-$30.00 depending on how much drop you want. Chrome and Stainless steel will cost more.

Convert-a- balls are $29.93 for two balls and $44.95 for 3 balls. Go to www.hitchballs.com for more info.

I think the round to flatwire converter was around $14.00

You will need a pin to hold the ball mount to the receiver hitch: about $8.00 - $25.00 depending if you buy one that has a lock and key built in to keep it all from getting stolen.
Bayou,
Thanx for the info. I haven't had to go out an buy my own tow gear with my last vehicle and since i don't tow more than 2000-3000 lb on a trailer i haven't had much need to upgrade the OEM gear.

I'll have to check locally for the parts as i'm sure NISSAN dealers will jack-up the prices.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Derwud said:
Wow that is great. That was one of my concerns since I opted not to order the Big Tow package. I am probably more paranoid because my Trooper tranny had some difficulty pulling around a trailer with 3 sportbikes (3000 lbs max between trailier and motorcycles) from Florida to the mountains of East Tennessee and North Carolina. That definitely puts my mind at ease considering I don't think I will ever be carrying over 5000 lbs if I even ever do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts