Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked in today to see what state of brake controllers is, and quickly found out there's an existing connector I can mate an aftermarket controller with - that's cool.

But I also ran into mentions of "Big tow" and "Little tow". Can someone fill me on the meaning of this, please? We don't have a truck yet (still looking for the right deal on an old ride e.g. mid-00s), but we're going to be pulling a two-horse trailer and want to make sure we get the right towing package.

·
Premium Member
67,927 Posts
Get an 08 and up. No such thing as a little tow. It either has it or it does not. Generally if it turns 2000 rpm at 70 mph it has the 3.36 gear. 1700 or so it does not have the tow gears.

·
Premium Member
67,927 Posts
Before 08 the trucks had small brakes. Not ideal...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. But since I mentioned brake controllers and horse trailers, don't you think the truck brake size is a little less important than those on the trailer? The other trailers and loads I'll be carrying/pulling with this thing are very light by comparison.

·
Premium Member
67,927 Posts
I said not ideal... The truck will do it with smaller brakes, but not good in a bad situation. A light trailer won't help you much... as in jack knife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is also a difference in the differential housing: pre-2007 or 2008 the front differential had what is called a "2-rib" design, with two stiffener ribs on the diff housing. These aren't as strong as the 2007+ 3-rib diffs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 05 Big Tow. The big tow has the larger brakes. It also has a larger transmission cooler running thru radiator and a trans temp gauge on dash cluster. The big tow has the larger extendable mirrors. I have 118m miles on it and about 90% of those is towing a trailer. The brakes on a trailer should be set so you do not feel them grab. They are only an assist to truck. One thing with the big tow trans cooler. When towing especially in hot weather the trans temp does not go up hardly at all over non tow situations. If you can find a Big tow model you should have no trouble with horse trailer. I don’t know what year they discontinued big tow. Good luck. Wish I could find a newer one with low miles, I would grab it.

·
Premium Member
67,927 Posts
I have an 05 Big Tow. The big tow has the larger brakes. It also has a larger transmission cooler running thru radiator and a trans temp gauge on dash cluster. The big tow has the larger extendable mirrors.
Big brakes didn't appear until 08. Extendable mirrors were easily exchanged for the non tow mirrors.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I checked in today to see what state of brake controllers is, and quickly found out there's an existing connector I can mate an aftermarket controller with - that's cool.

But I also ran into mentions of "Big tow" and "Little tow". Can someone fill me on the meaning of this, please? We don't have a truck yet (still looking for the right deal on an old ride e.g. mid-00s), but we're going to be pulling a two-horse trailer and want to make sure we get the right towing package.
To actually answer your original question, Big Tow has a higher differential gear ratio for towing heavier loads. 3.36 compared to 2.94. Easiest way to check is if the truck is on stock tires drive at 70 mph. If your tach says 2000 RPM's you have the higher gear ratio.

08+ is advisable, and if you're not picky on mileage you can find some good deals. There are big brake kits for the 04-07's, but they can be pricey. For a 2 horse bumper pull trailer, let's assume a 2500 pound weight, with two 1500 pound horses (always want to be over prepared). You're going to be pushing the limit of a non big tow truck once you add gear and everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts