Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the first pics of my Titan towing my boat. I took it on a 40-mile test route, with plenty of 4% grades, and the truck cruised with the load smooth, quiet and stable, and pulled 55 up the steepest grades. On the flats I could do 70+ no prob, with plenty of power for passing the seniors in Buicks and a few Tundras, but any faster makes me nervous with a load like this.

The total trailer and boat weight is 8,370 pounds, but it sure feels like less behind the truck!

Come June I'll tow it 700 miles through 110 degree heat in the desert.

- Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
DaveS said:
Here are the first pics of my Titan towing my boat. I took it on a 40-mile test route, with plenty of 4% grades, and the truck cruised with the load smooth, quiet and stable, and pulled 55 up the steepest grades. On the flats I could do 70+ no prob, with plenty of power for passing the seniors in Buicks and a few Tundras, but any faster makes me nervous with a load like this.

The total trailer and boat weight is 8,370 pounds, but it sure feels like less behind the truck!

Come June I'll tow it 700 miles through 110 degree heat in the desert.

- Dave
The boat and truck look great Dave...what a gorgeous setup! Can't wait to here how it does going to Lake Powell.

Karl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed. Thats a beautiful combo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is a nice boat...cool. I tow a 3500lb boat and could honestly forget it was back there the Titan handles it so well!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice set up Dave.
Did that trailer come as part of the package? I can’t really tell, but it looks like the bunks line up with the end of the transom & I assume you have quite a bit of tongue weight judging by the wench position & its relation to the front clip & yet no room to go back? It just looks to me like that trailer is just barely long enough. No criticisms though… it probably doesn’t sway much on the highway. Perhaps its just me, I haven’t really paid attention to how the Titan sits under load.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Very nice looking combo :cheers: Glad to hear she pulled the boat well. Wish you safety in your follow on journeys.

chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Towing the boat...

The trailer is made by VIP of Phoenix, and is custom built just for this boat. It does fit the boat just right, with no room to spare. The dealer told me tongue weight is right around 750 pounds. I'm getting about 2-3 of downward compression of the suspension with it hooked-up, which isn't too bad I guess.

I have the Big Tow and Off-Road packages on my truck.

After my long tow test, the bed developed a nasty high-pitched squeak when I go over small road bumps. I guess I'll have to get it into the dealer so they can rack-it. I hope it's just a bushing or something!

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
dave, i saw you at the nissan dealership in oceanside, right? i'm pretty sure that was you because i saw the exact same set-up there a few weeks ago. my mouth dropped when i saw the boat. that boat is heee-yooooj!!! anyheww, it looks badass as does the boat. i was at mossy nissan pickin up my Titan when you rolled up. all the salespeople including myself in awe. San Diego is the place to be!!! :cheers: cheers to the Titans

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that was me...

Prometheus said:
dave, i saw you at the nissan dealership in oceanside, right? i'm pretty sure that was you because i saw the exact same set-up there a few weeks ago. my mouth dropped when i saw the boat. that boat is heee-yooooj!!! anyheww, it looks badass as does the boat. i was at mossy nissan pickin up my Titan when you rolled up. all the salespeople including myself in awe. San Diego is the place to be!!! :cheers: cheers to the Titans
That probably was me! I took the boat by Mossy - they wanted to get some photos in case they had any customers asking about how much the Titan could tow. I really dig the truck - smooth, fast, quiet, and well-screwed together!

I had prviously towed my boat with a Ford Excursion 4X4 with the Powerstoke Diesel - a truck rated to tow 12,500 pounds. In every aspect except top speed (the Excursion would do 90 with the boat if I wanted to) the Titan is better - especially at low speeds - pulling away from lights and up steep on-ramps. That 379 ft-lb, gearing, and 5-speeds at work!

Enjoy Your truck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
All of us guys are getting chubbies just looking at that setup!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts