Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Ext. Cab SE 4X4 with tow package. I need to tow a 5200 lb Chevy on a 16ft. flat bed tandem with trailer brakes and a controller that I installed just tonight. I'm guessing that the trailer is around 2000 lbs. I have about 11,000 mi. on the truck and just had the oil changed, but not the diff. or tranny. Should this matter? I have towed alot of things before but nothing this big. I am going from Arizona to Idaho. I personally think that the truck should handle it, but I just want to hear some other opinions. I need feedback fast since I am leaving in two days. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
58,666 Posts
I also have an 06 CC with BT. Last year I towed my son's Chevy 3/4 ton extended cab on a car hauling trailer. I only towed his truck 300 miles but I had no problems.

My advice is to check all fluid levels including the differential, tire pressures, tongue weight, and trailer brakes. Allow some time to get your trailer brakes properly adjusted before you leave and allow for the increased stoping distance. You should be fine.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^... Let that bad boy roll-on....Good luck..

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Personally, I'd change the diff fluid. It won't help the actual towing, but diff gears do break in and changing that "break in" oil for fresh oil could help over the liftime of the veh.
Tow in 4th or 3rd when needed, don't be afraid to downshift before the truck thinks it should..AND don't fret about climbing grades at 3500-3800 rpm, the Titan is made to rev.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have the time I would second the recommendation of changing your rear differential gear oil. It’s pretty easy to do especially if you get a pump or a bottle with a flexible spout. I would say you are correct in your estimate of the trailer weight in at around 2,000 lbs. My 16’ equipment trailer which is rated for 10,000 lbs weighs 2,000 lbs. My setup with my compact tractor weighs in around 7,000 lbs.

Keeping your rpm’s up is the secret to keeping your transmission cool. Strictly on the flats you might be able to stay around 2,000 rpm’s, but once you start up inclines or bigger hills you are going to want to reach for that lower gear be it 3rd or even 2nd to keep the transmission cool.

Good luck with your trip and let us know how the Titan performs for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Along with with above, I suggest you get a wheel alinement on the truck if you have not had one. Also, check the tire pressure on all wheels after the tow is hooked up. Keep them at high spec when cold.

·
Registered
522 Posts
all should be just fine, let us know how you made out upon your return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts