Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try putting bigger tires on the 17" offroad wheels ??

I noticed 305/55/20's at the dealer so i'm thinking that width must be OK

SO now i'm wondring if a set of 305/70/17's will clear or be to tall ???

It's good to know the Daystar lift makes a difference though,
those 325/60/18's on billqaudiovideo's 4x4 LE CC look awesome!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm getting 20's for my LE whats the biggest size tire I can put on there with the daystar 2.5 front end lift 305/55/20????

·
Registered
473 Posts
305*.55=167.75
167.75/25=6.71
6.71+6.71+20 = Tire height of 33.42

305*.70= 213.5
213.5/25 = 8.54
8.54+8.54+17 = Tire height of 34.08

You are talking 2/3 of an inch higher. This will put the spedo a little out of calibration, but "I Doubt" it would rub. I would be more concerned about the fact that you are putting too wide of a tire on the stock rim. I beleive it is a 7.5 or 8 inch rim. for a 12" wide tire, you want a 10 inch rim. You may have to adjust the turn stops a little. I would make sure you could cancel the deal if there was a rubbing issue.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
it'll put the speedo off by about 7.5 mph.

when your speedo reads 60mph, you're actually travelling 67.5mph

big difference! :cheers:

it would rub because the diameter is much bigger, but the increase in width being so minimal would not be the cause of rub.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speedo error

Prometheus,
By going from a 285/70/R17 tire to a 305/70/R17 tire will only put the speedo off 3.4%. So, when your speedo reads 70MPH you are actually going 72.4 MPH with the bigger tires. Not that big of a difference. I didn't want your 7.5MPH difference to scare cnatra.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dobb said:
Prometheus,
By going from a 285/70/R17 tire to a 305/70/R17 tire will only put the speedo off 3.4%. So, when your speedo reads 70MPH you are actually going 72.4 MPH with the bigger tires. Not that big of a difference. I didn't want your 7.5MPH difference to scare cnatra.

yeah, I thought that was a little high

I just went to google & checked out the various tire size calculators

3.3% -3.4% looks about right , I just need to find out if these will clear

I plan on installing the Daystar lift kit so it may be a moot question

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
What doghouse said...

I would be more concerned with rubbing as your going to a wider tire (Not at the top of the tire, but on the backside of the tire against the suspension) and also that the tire is 12" vice the 8" on the current. It is really going to depend on what 20" wheels your planning on using. You can't think of it just as tire size...but as the whole package. You have to consider offset. If you go with a lower number offset you should not rub at all.

What wheels are you looking at?

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
MKW 34

http://www.mkwheel.com/mk34.asp

CaliforniaTitan said:
What doghouse said...

I would be more concerned with rubbing as your going to a wider tire (Not at the top of the tire, but on the backside of the tire against the suspension) and also that the tire is 12" vice the 8" on the current. It is really going to depend on what 20" wheels your planning on using. You can't think of it just as tire size...but as the whole package. You have to consider offset. If you go with a lower number offset you should not rub at all.

What wheels are you looking at?

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
From what I see in the calculator....

Your going to hit on the inside as your coming in 1" further.

Also, at 70mph indicated..you would be doing 79mph.

To get it 'right' for the speedo you would have to go down to a 55 vice 70 series tire.

To get it out far enough not to rub you will have to put 1" adapters to push the wheels back out to stock range.

Wait...inboard would be 2.5mm less...i typed wrong in the calculator...but still I think your gonna rub...

Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CaliforniaTitan said:
From what I see in the calculator....

Your going to hit on the inside as your coming in 1" further.

Also, at 70mph indicated..you would be doing 79mph.

To get it 'right' for the speedo you would have to go down to a 55 vice 70 series tire.

Chris
speed difference at 75 would be +3mph, 78mph

60mph about 62mph

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am guessing the speedo gearing is set up for tires slightly larger than the basic ones on my XE's steel wheels. My speed consistently comes up a little slower than indicated when I compare to the radar speed signs at various times around here. I am guessing a switch to the 18" set up with the slightly larger total height would put me right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts