Nissan Titan Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
thought you guys should know

i recently installed the k&n fipk and was happy with the sound but felt little performance. i knew the system did little to isolate from the engine heat so i decided to do a little customizing. what a difference. i wrapped the intake tube completly isolated the filter and box with insulation. i also took out a little piece of rubber right next to the washer fluid resevoir allowing more fresh air to come in from the from the air dam (next to the headlight) just to make sure the engine wasn't starved sucking air in from the fender. it felt much stronger and just to make sure it wasn't in my head, i reinstalled the stock setup, trust me it runs much better after the mod, pulls harder and has better tip in, with no loss of torque at all. tommorow i am going to install a cat back kit to help out some more. these motors are just waiting to come alive, can't wait till they start coming out with some more toys and goodies.

·
Registered
180 Posts
thanks big platinum

please attach some photos... did you insulate the k&n kit or the stock airbox?

also, what cat back are you going with? i'm looking to make the jump...

gero

·
Registered
471 Posts
i insulated the k&n kit, i'll get some photos when i get my camera back from my girlfriends house. i decided on the jba kit because the pipe diameter seems to encourage exhaust gas velocity, it goes from dual 2-1/2" and y's into a single 3". should be good for HP and torque. plus it was only $300 because it is alumized.(i think they have a stainless kit too) quality looks good, i will install today and keep updated on sound/power.

·
Registered
471 Posts
well, just installed the jba kit today, overall happy with kit and relatively easy to install. have one complaint, on the passenger side where it connects to the stock cat, the pipe wasn't quite long enough and at a bad angle. i had to really wank on it to suck it up to the collecter. subsequently, i have a small exhaust leak coming out of the collecter, i was planning on getting everything welded anyway so not a big deal, but still not happy. other than that system is good and sounds great, can't tell power yet because don't want to get on it till fix exhaust leak, it is before the o2 sensor and could throw off a/f mixture. keep updated after i get welded.

P.S. the stock exhaust is not too bad, except for the y-pipe, nissan put some thought into system, i wouldn't go to an aftermarket exhaust if looking for performance unless doing other mods to compliment. if want better sound, i'd reccomend the JBA, sounds good and certainly won't hurt power.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts