Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the Yakima rack made by Nissan for the Xterra. I took off the feet and clamped it down using the cleats and security bolts.

Pros: Easy to install and remove. Sturdy/Secure.

Cons: Currently not theft-proof. need to drill holes in Yakima bar and secure with cable lock.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,906 Posts
TITANTX said:
This is the Yakima rack made by Nissan for the Xterra. I took off the feet and clamped it down using the cleats and security bolts.

Pros: Easy to install and remove. Sturdy/Secure.

Cons: Currently not theft-proof. need to drill holes in Yakim bar and secure with cable lock.
Very clever!!! Simple and easy to purchase, good thinking TITANTX! :teethmast

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing...

When you're done hauling the bikes, just unclamp the bar and put it behind the back seat. Only takes a minute to install it or remove it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That is truly a great idea...thanks for posting it. I generally "southern engineer" my stuff...in other words, to secure my bike I would have used a roll or two of duct tape. Oh how I love my duct tape and wd40. BTW, McGyver is my hero. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
gtshouse said:
Here's a mount that I made. Similar to someone else's on here.
How did you remove the screw from the stopper thing? When I try to unscrew mine, it gets stuck at the end of the screw. I could force it (I guess), but I don't want to break it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
vw3vr6 said:
How did you remove the screw from the stopper thing? When I try to unscrew mine, it gets stuck at the end of the screw. I could force it (I guess), but I don't want to break it.
I was able to "coax" it out with a pair of channel locks and the factory wrench. It took a bit of patience to get them threaded again, but all is well now! I noticed that it got easier the more I removed it and re-threaded it. Whatever mutiliation they do on the ends of the threads takes a few times through the nut to straighten out. It would probably go quicker if you had a die to clean them out with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Everyone,
As you may have noticed in a previous thread, our company CCR Sport is coming out with a line of really cool accessories for the Titan Utilitrac system and one of the items is a bicycle fork mount. We will have the prototype completed today and we will post a picture and details next week. Please stay tuned.

Thanks
CCR Sport
626 695-1218
www.ccrsport.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very nice :)

I appreciate you sharing with us, your setup looks very professional, I am sure others will like the same setup. :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
vw3vr6 said:
I did the same thing silver serfer did...channel locks and the factory wrench. I did break one of the bolts before I was finished though. When I have time, I will try to find another bolt that will fit. I didn't have any trouble threading mine back in, but it's still very very tight. I have to use the factory wrench almost all the way....I can't turn it with my hand until I've got it almost screwed all the way in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TitanTX,

Does this bike rack continue to work well for you? I need to get 4 bikes mounted in the bed and your solution seems like the only one that will work. I've seen the 58" racks online, do you know where I can get the bracket and fork mount?

·
Registered
162 Posts
vw3vr6 said:
How did you remove the screw from the stopper thing? When I try to unscrew mine, it gets stuck at the end of the screw. I could force it (I guess), but I don't want to break it.[/QUOTE

I used a hacksaw and finished it with a dremel. Just make sure you lube the threads before removing the little bracket. I unscrewed it until if felt tight and backed off a little bit. Took about 5 minutes but it works fine now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
motoman,

Yes, it works fine. I leave the bolt-ons in the tracks and the rack and cleats behind the back seat.

I'm not sure where to find the bracket and mounts - probably from Nissan. They were part of the Xterra interior bike rack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts