Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my trucks been at Nissan since late Friday afternoon because of a front passenger strut failure. They are saying it's the Bilstein that caused it, but I'm still getting all OEM parts covered under warranty thankfully. They haven't taken the strut apart yet to confirm that it is the shock yet as they are still waiting on a new Bilstein from the guys across the street that installed them on my truck, free replacement Bilstein as well.

Here's a quick video I took, you can see the Bilstein coming up through the top mount plate of the strut. I'm thinking that's what failed and not the Bilstein but will see.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
thats from incorrect installation. you can take it apart and probably re use the shock. i had that happen to me too before the forum had 1000000 write ups on how to properly install the bilsteins.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think so? It just happened Friday, other side doesn't seem to be having a issue so far.

Would the Bilstein shock be damaged from this?

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
if it stays like that long enough it will wear through the threads. ask me how i know :) i still was able to re use it though. look up the correct hardware installation for the shocks, its somewhere on here. i believe the trick is you don't do what Bilstein instructions say, and you re use the factory stuff? i forget.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Yep, improper installation, missing the OEM washer that needs to be swapped over from the OEM struts, your other side will do the same if the same person installed them, lots of people don't follow the proper instructions and miss the washer, especially shops, because they think they know how to do it properly, and they don't.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OEM washer, I'll keep that in mind when I go back in. We'll see tomorrow hopefully what the damage is.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after a week in the shop waiting for parts, everything is fixed. Turns out the Bilstien was the problem after all, which sucks as I had them installed in January. But I got a replacement sent under warranty, Nissan also fix a few other suspension parts under warranty as well. Lucky me. Got a brand new lower control arm, sway bar links, bearings, etc which should of cost me hundreds. In the end all I paid for was an alignment.

Hopefully this Bilstien was just a lemon...my local Nissan like's me enough to cover this once. This happens again and it's out of me pocket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts