Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the ride quality difference between the Bilstein 5100 and the Bilstein HD? I am also wondering if the Bilstein HD give any sort of lift, I know that the Bilstein 5100 at 0 setting give a 1/2" but do the Bilstein HD give a 1/2" as well? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Could anyone explain the differene between the two? Mrs Santa wants to know what I want and would like to order them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just called shockware house, they are out of F4-BE5-D185-H0, and that are on backorder. I'll give Shox.com a call and see if they have them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 5100 is adjustable and can be use to level the Titan. HD is non adjustable. I have the HD with the leveling kit and I love them. Performance is totally better compare to stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Fusion. That's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys not to get off the topic... i am a bit confused ... If you pit Bilstein 5100 on do you need a leveling kit or will the shock level the T

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey guys not to get off the topic... i am a bit confused ... If you pit Bilstein 5100 on do you need a leveling kit or will the shock level the T

Yes, the blistiens alone will not level the truck (4WD)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well the 5100's can be used to add some height and work to level out the truck. Most people run a leveling kit with the 5100's though because from what I've read, the ride quality starts to go down with the higher adjustments on them. You just have to make sure to remember to consider the 1/2" of lift you'll get with them set at 0 if your going to also use a leveling kit when your deciding how big of a kit to get so you avoid coil bucket contact. And just going back a bit, from what I've read the HD's are about stock length and shouldn't add any extra lift.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The bilstein HD also adds a half inch, they just aren't adjustable. If you were going to use the 5100's set at 0 with a spacer I would think you might as well just use the HD's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had HD's installed with 2 inch level on my '04 4x4 cc. Ride quality a million times better than ranchos and yes, the HD are half inch longer than stock rancho

·
Registered
573 Posts
my 5100 set at the center feels like stock..

·
Registered
620 Posts
The bilstein HD also adds a half inch, they just aren't adjustable. If you were going to use the 5100's set at 0 with a spacer I would think you might as well just use the HD's.
That's interesting, everything I have read says that people thought they were stock length, but no body ever knew for sure. thanks for the info and finally clearing that up. Does Bilstein make a front shock that is stock length? I've been planning on puting the HD's on mine once I put my lift on but I don't want the added 1/2".

·
Registered
496 Posts
That's interesting, everything I have read says that people thought they were stock length, but no body ever knew for sure. thanks for the info and finally clearing that up. Does Bilstein make a front shock that is stock length? I've been planning on puting the HD's on mine once I put my lift on but I don't want the added 1/2".
I think that the HD is Bilstein's stock replacement, it just happens to be a half inch longer than our stock shocks. What kind of lift are you putting on? Why don't you want the extra half inch?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think that the HD is Bilstein's stock replacement, it just happens to be a half inch longer than our stock shocks. What kind of lift are you putting on? Why don't you want the extra half inch?
I will have a the cst 4" spindle lift with a 2" rear block. This should leave me with about a 1/2" rake. I'm not completely against taking the rake away (I plan on driving it for a while with the rake then deciding later if I want to keep the same height with new shocks or if I want to add the 1/2") but I just don't want it to look like its lower in the back at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I will have a the cst 4" spindle lift with a 2" rear block. This should leave me with about a 1/2" rake. I'm not completely against taking the rake away (I plan on driving it for a while with the rake then deciding later if I want to keep the same height with new shocks or if I want to add the 1/2") but I just don't want it to look like its lower in the back at all.
I honestly don't think you are going to notice a half inch by looking at the truck. If you want to keep some of the rake mabye you could go with a 2.5 or 3 inch block (if they make them).

·
Registered
620 Posts
I honestly don't think you are going to notice a half inch by looking at the truck. If you want to keep some of the rake mabye you could go with a 2.5 or 3 inch block (if they make them).
I know I really don't think it ill be a big enough difference to notice, I was just planning on having the HD's as a backup to the 5100s if I wanted to keep the rake. I thought about going with a taller block but decided not to because I will be running my stock wheels and tires for a while and am already worried about them looking too small, so I just decided to stay with a 2" block.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a 2.5" PRG leveling kit on top of Bilstein HD's and still have a little rake. It takes more like 3" in the front to level mine. At 4" the rake was reversed. Recently Greg at PRGproducts told me the 5100s lift the extra 1/2" over stock and the HD because its bottom spring perch position its higher, which adds preload to the coil. He said the HD's are at the stock position, or real close. My current sig pic's rake seems to confirm this, but I'll try to get one on level ground and with the F/R tires at the same psi later in the week.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply. I went with the 5100's in case I want to go higher later in life. Shox.com is the only place I found that had some in stock, when I called they had 10 available, that was Wednesday of last week. I have 2 of them on my truck so that makes only 8 now in stock. They are awesome, ride is 200% better, especially because I have 101,000 miles and was still running the original struts and shocks. I will put some update pics in the photo section later. I went with the PRG Mini Lift (2" front, 1" rear), Bilstein 5100's Front & Rear, no coil bucket contact as of yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts