Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, done some searching but haven't found exactly what I was looking for.

I have a set of Bilstein 5100 struts on the front of my T in pair with a 6inch rough country bracket lift. They are set on the middle perch to keep the tires away from the fenders as I'm running a -44 offset with 35s.

My question is, the 5100s work great on big dips, and aggressive terrain. However on daily driving, little bumps in the road, potholes, speed bumps, pretty much any small imperfection you can feel pretty well. I know some of this is due to my 20" rim paired with a 35" tire. (My litter Ford Ranger on 15" rims with 33s soaked up that stuff pretty well lol.)

But, to anyone that has gone to coilovers from 5100s, did you notice a difference in smoothness over the little stuff? Also, I know coilovers are adjustable but did your T drop height after the switch in the front?

All your help and Info is greatly appreciated!

"Bear"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
5100 are a little bit smoother over the little bumps on the road and Coilovers are MUCH smoother on big bumps and dips. I can take rough RR tracks smooth as warm butter while a truck with 5100's head bobs, and I feel the little tiny street annoyances in the steering wheel a little more than he does. Now keep in mind most coilovers come with 700# coil rated springs that take time to soften up. I ordered mine with softer 625# rated springs and they are smoother now than when they were new.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i had 5100's top perch on my 2008, rode like your saying on the small bumps, got fox coils on my 2015, rides like butter! night and day going coilover.

Reactions: MTKross

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5100 are a little bit smoother over the little bumps on the road and Coilovers are MUCH smoother on big bumps and dips. I can take rough RR tracks smooth as warm butter while a truck with 5100's head bobs, and I feel the little tiny street annoyances in the steering wheel a little more than he does. Now keep in mind most coilovers come with 700# coil rated springs that take time to soften up. I ordered mine with softer 625# rated springs and they are smoother now than when they were new.

i had 5100's top perch on my 2008, rode like your saying on the small bumps, got fox coils on my 2015, rides like butter! night and day going coilover.

Looks like I'll be saving up for coilovers next. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
456 Posts
You should be able to get extended length coilovers for your bracket lift so you dont have to run the spacer on top also.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
You could order 8 inch lift coilovers also in extend travel if your looking for a little more fender clearance, an not have them cranked so they rode nice. Might you, you would want upper control arms for this set up. Not sure if you 4x4 your truck or not though.
Currently I am running extended travel bracket lifted radflo and you really can't compare the ride to 5100's at all. Night an day difference, on really rough pot hole kind logging roads my truck glides over this stuff straight down the road at speeds over 90 km where my 5100's couldn't handle that abuse.
The radflos are getting sent back for a refund an getting some 8 inch extended travel icons made, talk to the guys at TAP when you are ready an they will get you hooked up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could order 8 inch lift coilovers also in extend travel if your looking for a little more fender clearance, an not have them cranked so they road nice. Might you, you would want upper control arms for this set up. Not sure if you 4x4 your truck or not though.
Currently I am running extended travel bracket lifted radflo and you really can't compare the ride to 5100's at all. Night an day difference, on really rough pot hole kind logging roads my truck glides over this stuff straight down the road at speeds over 90 km where my 5100's couldn't handle that abuse.
The radflos are getting sent back for a refund an getting some 8 inch extended travel icons made, talk to the guys at TAP when you are ready an they will get you hooked up.

I do have Dirt King UCA's already. (Which are amazing) I am 4x4 so I don't know if I could go any higher without causing the axles to bind. I just don't want to loose any height. I heard on some applications that the coilovers for bracket lifted Titans didn't let the truck sit as high as the 5100's. If I could get away with the 8in extended icons that would be awesome! Can't wait to see yours on

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently took off the sway bar and that made a difference on the little bumps. I have a very similar setup with the bilsteins on top perch, wish I would of done the 08 4x4 springs with a lower perch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently took off the sway bar and that made a difference on the little bumps. I have a very similar setup with the bilsteins on top perch, wish I would of done the 08 4x4 springs with a lower perch.

I took my sway bar off too as soon as I got them on. I do have the 08 springs on the middle Perch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm currently running the RC 6" bracket lift on my '07. I had Billy's on the top perch with my stock springs. Rode like *** with the sway bar on. Teeth jarring. Took the bar off and the truck got really squirrely on some of the roads I drive @ 60+mph. So I had to leave the bar on. Eventually went down to mid perch and used Pro 4x springs from another member. I also got a set of old school R/C uppers, put in new Moog ball joints, and took the bar back off. I lost maybe .5" in ride height but the ride is completely different. Rides great on the highway. Even on the roads she'd get squirrely on previously. Little bumps and big bumps aren't that big a deal.

And for what it's worth, the stiffness of the tire has a bit to do with it as well. I was riding on 35x12.50 ProComp AT's. They rode like hell. The 37's I'm on now ride great and are quiet compared to the P/C's. However, I do rub a touch on full turns and backing up a slight grade into my driveway. But an incoming body lift is going to solve that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm currently running the RC 6" bracket lift on my '07. I had Billy's on the top perch with my stock springs. Rode like *** with the sway bar on. Teeth jarring. Took the bar off and the truck got really squirrely on some of the roads I drive @ 60+mph. So I had to leave the bar on. Eventually went down to mid perch and used Pro 4x springs from another member. I also got a set of old school R/C uppers, put in new Moog ball joints, and took the bar back off. I lost maybe .5" in ride height but the ride is completely different. Rides great on the highway. Even on the roads she'd get squirrely on previously. Little bumps and big bumps aren't that big a deal.

And for what it's worth, the stiffness of the tire has a bit to do with it as well. I was riding on 35x12.50 ProComp AT's. They rode like hell. The 37's I'm on now ride great and are quiet compared to the P/C's. However, I do rub a touch on full turns and backing up a slight grade into my driveway. But an incoming body lift is going to solve that.
Did you regear to go up to 37s

·
Registered
695 Posts

Hey I heard body lift ???? Where are you getting yours from? And how muc if you don't Mind me asking ? I heard day star wasn't shipping until no one knows when??

·
Registered
328 Posts

Not yet. Gotta save up a little. Not to worried about it until boat pulling season. I currently have 3.36's and with the bully dog tuner, air raid, and cat back exhaust, it still gets moving. Hoping there are 3.92's made for our trucks but if not, I'm going 3.73 with a tru-trac diff.

As far as the body lift, I'm getting one from another member. New and unused but sitting in storage for a couple years for $250.

There are vendors I've seen on the TitanTalk Facebook page offering the new 3" performance accessories body lift for around $370 shipped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been wanting to regear forever but a 4x4 is quite the pricey upgrade. I have 35 toyo MTS with the 2.94 ratio. Im hoping a lighter AT tire will help. What do you guys think? Won't 4.10s be perfect for your 37s. 4.10s are usually a little cheaper than the 3.73 too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do these trucks have extremely low final drives in the trannys? All the ratios everyone on titantalk throws around are super high (numerically low) I've always put 4:10's in trucks with 31-33's, and one truck with 31's even got 4:88's because the trannys final drive was really tall. The Chevy in my avatar has 35's and 4:88's and I drive it on the highway all the time at 2500 RPM at 75mph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our trannys are geared to make a 2.94 like a 3.73 and 3.36 like a 4.10. After the 3rd gear we loose all the help from the tranny with oversized tires and towing. 4th gear is 1 to 1 ratio and overdrive is .82. So I end up staying in 3rd most the time while towing. If I had the 3.36 gears, I think I would be more content with my 35s and towing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have thought about 4.10's as well. Hell, everything for our drivetrain a is pricey as he77

1 - 19 of 19 Posts