Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I finished the rear installation of the Bilstein 5100's. Not much really here as far as installation process goes. Its real easy to do the rears.

-PB Blasted all 4 bolts about 4 days prior than tonight, each night.
-I jacked up the rear of the truck
-Put jack stands on each side under the frame. In front of rear tires.
-Pulled the floor jack under the driver side of the axle
-I put a small 4x4 piece of wood on the jack and jacked up the driver side axle ever so slightly from under the bracket for the leaf spring. Just enough to slide the bolts out from the shock mounts.
-Removed the old shock from driver side
-Started from the top shock mount with the new Bilsteins
-Ran that bolt through and hand tightened that bolt
-Lowered the jack ever so slightly to line up the bottom shock mount
-Ran that bolt through the bottom and hand tightened
-Repeated same process above for passenger side
-Went back over all 4 bolts and torqued them to 115ft lbs.
-DONE!!! :rockon

I will try my best to get good pics and try to do a step by step for the front Bilsteins installation tomorrow. But, here are some pics of the new shocks vs the old crappy rusted Ranchos. These Ranchos are garbage. The dust cover is a hard plastic. They just feel very generic compared to these Bilsteins.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I tossed my rear Ranchos after about a year. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had hard plastic imitation dust boots, that's f'n laughable. I considered giving them away on here but didn't want anyone to waste their time or money on installing them. Same with the front Rancho struts. Since I only had them on for 20K miles or so, I reused the coils for my Bilstein HD's.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tossed my rear Ranchos after about a year. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had hard plastic imitation dust boots, that's f'n laughable. I considered giving them away on here but didn't want anyone to waste their time or money on installing them. Same with the front Rancho struts. Since I only had them on for 20K miles or so, I reused the coils for my Bilstein HD's.
LOL!!! thats a good way to put it. I was fukin laughing when I pulled the first one off. I crawled out from under the rig and started laughing and calling it a POS. I even took it inside and showed the wife how crappy it is. I wanted her to see it cuz she bought me these Bilsteins. I am definitely even more excited now to get the craptastic Ranchos out of the fronts. Cant wait!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I almost have the front passenger side completed. Unfortunately, I got caught in the rain. When I started it didn't look like rain. Well, about 30 minutes in to it, rain!!! GRRR!!

Oh well, I worked on it as much as I could. Then called it quits for today. I will finish it up tomorrow, weather permitting. I did manage to take some photos in the rain. So, I'll try my best to explain what is going on in the pics and the processes I did.

First step....

-jack up the front
-place jack stands on each side behind front tires on the frame
-remove front tires...this is passenger side

Second step....

-remove cotter pin from upper control arm bolt
-loosen nut (do not remove)
-tap side of upper control arm to break it free..it will drop and be stopped by the nut

Third step....

-find the sway bar end links

- remove bottom nut from bracket and pull the end link out

Fourth step....

-loosen but do not remove top piston rod nut (middle nut on the rod)
-remove 3 nuts on top of the coil bucket

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fifth step....

-remove lower shock mount bolt and nut
-will need a breaker bar and 19mm wrench for nut

Sixth step....

-now remove the nut holding the upper control arm..the one with the cotter pin you removed earlier

Seventh step....

-now you can remove the shock assembly from the truck..wiggle it outta there
-I did not get a pic of the stock assembly. got too busy wrestling around with the spring compressor (which you need to rent from autozone). After the fact, I realized I could have used my impact wrench on the [email protected] spring compressor nuts to tighten and loosen. So FYI, use the impact here...much faster.
-after you get the spring compressor tight enough so you can spin the the shock inside...remove the nut on the rod at the top

-I used a vice grip on the end and a box wrench. You need a vice grip or something to hold the rod so it doesnt spin.
-here is the rediculous Rancho shock...how freakin lame!! These are GARBAGE!

Eighth step....

-assembling the new Bilstein with the parts from the stock shock. I laid it in order from which they go on the Bilstein. Install from right to left!!

-so the washer at the far left is off the stock assembly. leave the washer that is already on the Bilstein shock from the manfr in its place..dont remove it! Basically assemble it exactly like these pics....here is another at a different view

Ninth step....

-here is the Bilstein shock all assembled with the Tuff Country 1.5'' spacer/level lift

Tenth step....

-this is where I pretty much stopped. I placed the finished assembly back in its home.
-I will finish the install in the morning and post more. Still have another side to go! :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Two questions for you. Did you end up leaving the strut at the lowest setting since you used the 1.5" level spacer?? Also, are those two rubber bushings the same part?? I'm thinking of ordering new rubber bushings when I do my install, thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not. I put the fronts at the middle setting. As for the bushings, i dont remember if they are the same part. I will remember to look for you when i do the drivers side today. Honestly, i dont think you need to waste the time and money on new bushings. Mine looked really good!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm half toying with the idea of getting the 08+ off road coil springs for the added lift they provide and keeping the strut at the lowest setting. If I do this I can build the assemblies and just do a swap out when the time comes. I would just need to buy the bushings and a washer it looks like. Looks like I can get all the parts for around $30. Thanks for finding that out for me!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i was toying with that idea as well. But&, norcal4x4 advised me to save my money. I only have 29,867 miles on my T. So he said you really only need those springs if you have a lot of miles on the stock springs. So i decided to save the money. No problem...ill take better pics of the bushings and parts there for ya.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks man, appreciate it!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I vote for making this a sticky so the constant confusion on the correct 5100 install process can finally be ended. These are the best pics of the correct order that I have found and I'm def glad I saw this before I do my install. This would also keep people from having to read through all of the pages in the 5100 install gone wrong thread, here they just look at the pictures on page 1

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You don't have to undo the UCA from the spindle. Undo the sway bar while the truck is still on the ground. Jack it up, take the bottom bolt out, then the top bolts, and then the strut can just slide out from the bottom. Done this several times with and without a spacer and with the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
686 Posts
For me this thread is more about how the strut is assembled back in to the coil, thats where all the confusion from everyone seems to be. The many threads on here about Bilstein install troubles usually comes from incorrect washer/bushing assembly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the drivers side done! I got some pics for ya Lvcoyote. I did not take step by step pics on this one. As it is the same as the steps above.

Ok it starts..

dissembling the stock setup...

close up pic of the stock nut (loosened), washer and rubber bushing...

pics of the stock washer and the rubber bushing...

Looks like they are different bushings Lvcoyote...

Here is the finished product. It doesnt look level in these pics but I measured from the top of the fender (highest point all around) and they are level. Except for the front passenger side. For some reason that is higher by like 3/4''...hmmm! But here is the drivers side...

left over garbage that I was excited to throw away!!!

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the pics, very helpful.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
nice, but why did you undo your upper UCA to remove the front shocks? When I replaced mine all I did was disconnected the front sway bar and the front shock assy dropped right out.
I installed the Bilstein HD's but I do like the 5100's

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
when I did replace my shocks I ordered all new parts/hardware for the fronts shocks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
nice, but why did you undo your upper UCA to remove the front shocks? When I replaced mine all I did was disconnected the front sway bar and the front shock assy dropped right out.
If you jack the truck up without removing the swaybar first, unbolting the UCA is the only way you can then unbolt the swaybar. learned this the hard way :teethmast By the order of his directions, that's what he did.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was only following the directions from Tuff Country. I didnt know how to do this so i just followed their directions. I wish i would have known that before. Oh well!! Atleast i learned a lot...thank you!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts