Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for any input on these shocks curious as to why there aren't many write ups on them. Have 2" in the rear now might go to 3". They are in a price range im willing to spend and seem to be a step up from the 5125.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
5165s require heavy modification to fit any vehicle. The type of modification you'd find in a pre runner.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you're running 2-3 inches, stick with the 5125s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was talking to a member on here and they said they needed no modifications just the bushings.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The 5125s need new bushings, no other mods. Not sure about the 5165s.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just curious as to why. Not saying you're wrong or anything I just would like to understand more.
I'm no suspension-ologist, but as far as I know, with the amount of lift in the rear that you're looking at the 5125s are pretty much the perfect application with their length/valving. The only times I've seen 5165s used are, as Ermahgerd said, on heavily modified pre-runner rigs, or ones running close to 9 inches of lift.

Would it hurt to run the 5165s? Probably not, but with the amount of rear lift you mentioned, that's basically the range that the 5125s were built for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious as to why. Not saying you're wrong or anything I just would like to understand more.
I'm no suspension-ologist, but as far as I know, with the amount of lift in the rear that you're looking at the 5125s are pretty much the perfect application with their length/valving. The only times I've seen 5165s used are, as Ermahgerd said, on heavily modified pre-runner rigs, or ones running close to 9 inches of lift.

Would it hurt to run the 5165s? Probably not, but with the amount of rear lift you mentioned, that's basically the range that the 5125s were built for.
Yea I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was looking more at a performance stand point. I like to take my truck out and have a good time quite often(not pre runner extreme though)so was thinking 5165 would be nice to have. But if the 5125 perform well to then I should begin to take them in to consideration.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I mean, I love to go out and romp around too. Perhaps I did come off a bit "matter-of-factly" about the 5165s in my first post, I didn't really mean to. I'm sure they do perform great, they are billys after all. That being said, I've done some fairly...questionable things on my 5100 front/5125 rear setup (with 3 inch blocks in the rear) and they feel fantastic. It was kind of strange, but my rear actually felt better than my front for a while, until I got new UCAs and dropped down a perch on the 5100s. Granted, I don't go rock crawling, nor do I jump my rig, but high speed 4wd runs through rutty/muddy fields are a fairly normal occurrence, and this setup handles it like a champ.

In my honest opinion, the 5100/5125 combo is the best cost to performance ratio solution out there for a lifted truck. Obviously that's subjective, but I'd be willing to bet that no one has anything bad to say about them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean, I love to go out and romp around too. Perhaps I did come off a bit "matter-of-factly" about the 5165s in my first post, I didn't really mean to. I'm sure they do perform great, they are billys after all. That being said, I've done some fairly...questionable things on my 5100 front/5125 rear setup (with 3 inch blocks in the rear) and they feel fantastic. It was kind of strange, but my rear actually felt better than my front for a while, until I got new UCAs and dropped down a perch on the 5100s. Granted, I don't go rock crawling, nor do I jump my rig, but high speed 4wd runs through rutty/muddy fields are a fairly normal occurrence, and this setup handles it like a champ.

In my honest opinion, the 5100/5125 combo is the best cost to performance ratio solution out there for a lifted truck. Obviously that's subjective, but I'd be willing to bet that no one has anything bad to say about them.

All good I appreciate your input and will take in to consideration both shocks. If I get the 5165 ill make sure to let you know how they are but I will be looking at 5125 as well. For 3" in the rear you had to do that carrier bearing spacer or whatever it is called right?

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you do go the 5165 route, I'd definitely be curious to hear your impressions! TAP (Mike A, the 4th post) is a great place to get them from, regardless of which shocks you decide to go with.

The carrier bearing drop bracket? To my knowledge, that is only necessary for 2wd Titans, as the 4wd Ts have a single piece driveline (a correction from someone would be great, if I'm wrong on this). Truthfully, I probably could use a PRG driveshaft spacer, but I think it's only a necessity if you exceed 3 inches in the rear. Since I'm right at that, and haven't had any issues *knock on wood* I haven't pulled the trigger on one just yet. Soon though, probably.

Reactions: Mike @ TAP

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
We offer both the 5125's & 5165's and we size these shocks for your Lift. Stock or Lifted. We also supply the much needed Bushings and Sleeves to fit the OEM Bolts. We have Sold Plenty of these Bilsteins and from the feedback we get is that they are GREAT!! Bilstein 5125's & 5165's come with different valving since it's a universal shock. Please let me know what size you are looking for and what you plan to do so i can get you the right shocks!!

Check out the simple write up for the Bushings & Sleeves i put together...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...in-5125s-rear-shocks-lifted-applications.html

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Get the 5165's. Resis are cooler. Literally. Everyone and their mom runs 5125's. Or get some fox 2.5's for the rear and let me know how they are. Lol only 750$

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Get the 5165's. Resis are cooler. Literally. Everyone and their mom runs 5125's. Or get some fox 2.5's for the rear and let me know how they are. Lol only 750$
You might right about the 5125's. But my MOM runs KING Shocks 2.5", Lol Most buy it for cost, Others buy the 5165 for the COOL factor you just mentioned. CMORSE just upgraded to ICON Res from 5165's and he said it was a Day/Night difference.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
i was gonna say icons but those are quite a bit more then blisteins yeah? same as the fox's i'm guessing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts