Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

About 2 weeks ago, I had a local shop install my new bilstein front struts from greg at PRG. The guy had the instructions. Like I said, it was 2 weeks ago and no problems. Well today I go over a bump and there is a loud clunk in the driver side front wheel well. everytime I go over a bump now it sounds like metal on metal clunking. I toojk a few pictures of the struts and it seems like the strut is popping out of the top of the mount. I may be wrong, but I don't remember it looking that way.

I think the guy forgot the washer or something. Any advice? Is it not safe to drive with it like tis? Tis is my daily driver and I don't have another car.

·
Super Moderator
93,913 Posts
You need to get it back in there and have it looked at. No, it's not safe.

Reactions: shawn474

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yes there is a washer you need, do a search on here is been brought up a couple of times. Sorry I cant be more of a help but I dont have any experience in this other than reading about it on here before.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
wow, a shop did this... Def. Take it back and have them fix it. the rubber grommets aren't suppose to be on the same side... wish i can help a little more, but if i try it would be very confusing since my typing skills aren't the best...

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Are those new coilovers and cap or did you put the old ones on the new shocks?

Looks just like my nightmare a year ago...

If so, you will need another washer that bilstein does not send with the shocks..

It can be fixed and the guy who did the work should have known this if he is any kind of mechanic...

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Wow, glad this thread cam about. I knew nothing of a washer missing. Does it have to be a certain size??
Yes but can't remember the exact size..It was a big thick flat washer though.
The guy who fixed mine had a couple at his shop and it has been fine for a year now..

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Man!! You would think maybe Bilstein could afford to put a washer in or at least send something out with the package to let us know. I was going to try to do the install within the next few weeks. At least now I know to get soem large washers. Thats sh*tty of them.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I did my own and had to re-use one of the OEM metal washer along with one that came with the Bilstein's (two are needed). The mech jacked that up for sure. But it should be no damage to the strut. I would find a new mech if needed after this 'cause this one...

Check your alignment too.

L

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, so I got home and found the old struts. The rubber boot still had the washer in them. So he definitely forgot to put it in. I guess he used the bilstein one on the inside. So if I am correct, there is a rubber grommet and the OEM washer on the outside of the mount and the a rubber groomet and the bilstein washer on the inside of the boot. The OEM washer doesn't look the same as the bilstein though. The OEM one is cupped (best way for me to describe it). Is that correct? I want to spell it out for this shop so I don't have to go through this again. The guy was very apologetic, but I don't think I'll b going back there after this is over with.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Take Care,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
If your are not going to DIY, then you need to do the research and have all the details before you go to a shop and then explain and discuss everything with the mechanic that will actually be working on the truck. Anything less invites disaster.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I talked with the guy before he started working on it. He has worked on a lot of titans and was confident in doing it. I gave him the instructions sent with the struts. Didn't think there was anything else I needed to do - me going in and telling him what to do would be like him coming to my job and telling me what to do. He is the mechanic after all and short of an interview and reference check, I thought I did everythng right. Live and learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Contact Greg at PRG-he helped me identify the problem and then I had a buddy help me reinstall...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
WOW! I've got something else to check on! No noise here, but very interesting post. Hope all works out for you. :)

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
The big silver washer in the pics should be INSIDE the coilspring. THe stock gold washer stays on top of the assembly. This happens all the time. I usually actually draw a crude picture on the Bilstein instructions showing this so the installer has a general idea (as if any tech ever READS instrustions). On the stock shocks, the internal washer is part of the boot, on the Bilsteins it's a separate part.
You need to disassemble the struts and put that big silver washer inside, (it sits on a step on the shock shaft) and the washers basically encapsulate the rubber bushings.

·
Banned
465 Posts
yeah i know im late but i will confirm too that you are missing a washer... the washer was attach to the stock dust cover! I just did mine and Ron Martins about 3 weeks ago!

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
wow!!! going to replace my shocks when I return home with the Bilstein 5100's
going to order new hardware for the front shocks from www.mynissanparts.com

·
Banned
465 Posts
yes you are missing Part 54055M in the above diagram!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts