Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Not trying to beat a dead horse here, please humor me! :)

I just bought a 2012 Titan Pro4x 4x4 Crew Cab. A few years ago (Early 2015) I had a 2006 Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab that I installed the setup below. I want to see if you Titan/Bilstein guru's can tell me how to REPLICATE the height I achieved on my old Titan on my new one. I know there are things to keep in mind ie. this one is an'08-up, it's a pro4x, back in early 2013 did I have the "old" 5100's? etc etc.
This setup netted me 4.5" front lift overall and 2" rear
Thanks or any help and feedback!
Mark

My Complete Setup back then:
-5100's Front on top perch w/ PRG 2" front spacer
-5125's Rear w/ PRG 2" block(Normally 1" or 1.5" I requested 2")
-Rough Country UCA's - I had to grind the coil buckets maybe 1/4"
-PRG Extended Sway bar end Links
-PRG front bump stops
-PRG Cam Bolts (I had them but didn't need them per 2 well established local alignment shops)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
First thing I'd say is you're really pushing the limits of your front half-shafts at that height. In fact, in my experience with a variety of these dual-a-arm independent front suspensions, you're beyond pushing them, and you're asking for a failure. That failure, of course, will happen at the most inopportune moment, and will be catastrophic in nature, and likely cost you far more than a bracket lift would cost now. If you really want what amounts to 4.5" in the front, just buy a bracket lift or a 2wd truck.

Now, that said, the max safe lift with a 4wd Titan using spacers and lifting struts is 3", and even some trucks have trouble with this amount of lift. You will get either 1" or 2" from the 5100s, depending on middle/top perch. You'll need a 2" or 1" spacer to get that to 3", depending on how you want the ride (stiff or pliable). The rear is easy, as it's just blocks.

Bear in mind you may be comparing the overall lift of the 2006 you had, with a lower initial ride height, so it may have been safe on that truck, but equate to 3" on the new truck. I'm not as well versed in the early Titans (I have a 2011) so maybe this is the case. Regardless, my suggestion for the best ride is to set up your 5100s at the middle perch and add a 2" spacer. Then add whatever rear lift you want to either level it or keep some rake. I'm thinking I'll do 3" front/2.5" rear when I lift mine - hopefully soon - but I like a bit of rake. If you go over an inch, you'll still need the 5125s in the rear.

You'll definitely want the extended bump stops, cam bolts, and extended sway bar links of some sort.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Don't go over 3" in the front, and even then you're stressing your CV axles. I've torn and replaced mine twice now with a 3" lift in the front.

Get a 4-6" bracket lift or sit at 3" with a 3" spacer, Bilsteins on 0, 1" block in the back if you want it level. If you keep your sway bar you need all the end link stuff. You don't need bump stops. I haven't changed mine, and I've never had an issue.

With my 3" front/1" rear I'm easily fitting 295/70R18 tires on stock backspacing wheels. If I'm still running the same setup when I buy new tires I may try to fit 35x12.5R18's.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
DK Bushing uppers, Bilsteins on mid perch and a 1.5" spacer, 1.5" block and 5125's in the back will set you right at 40.5" all the way around

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and feedback guys.

What about this idea...just thinking out loud. Also, fwiw I'm looking for as close to LEVEL as possible or perhaps a small (I mean small) rake.

-2.5" Spacer up front with stock length OE replacement Bilstein shocks
-Rough Country UCA's
-5125's Rear with 2" block (or would I need 1.5" for more level?)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
P4X is going to be level with 2" in the front. Fishn is level with a 3/1.5 because he has a topper. I'm level with a 3/1 with nothing in the bed. If you do 2/2.5 up front and 2 in the rear you're going to have almost the same rake you do now. Remember, a spacer's claimed lift and the actual thickness are different. A 1.5" thick spacer is going to give you about 2" of lift up front.

Reactions: FishnAlaska

·
Registered
316 Posts
'15 Pro4X, I put 5100s mid perch struts on front and 5100 shocks out back. Front 38.5" at wheel arch top, rear 39.5".
Use that as a baseline for adding spacers/lift for your setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kinda off point but curious....

Can you buy 5100's and have them set for stock ride height? Or by installing the 5100's you get a lift weather you want one or not?

Just keeping my options open for when the OEM struts/shocks fail but do not want to lift the truck at all. Bone Stock SV 4x4 wife likes the height where it is now.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Bottom perch is stock height on current 5100 design. Old style (several years out of production now) added about half an inch of length over stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom perch is stock height on current 5100 design. Old style (several years out of production now) added about half an inch of length over stock.
Good to know. I thought I read another post, or is it this one, that said the 5100's on bottom perch were still a little longer then true OEM.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Leaving them on bottom perch the ride will be a lot smoother than OEM. The shop messed up when I had them installed and put them on the bottom when I wanted middle. The ride was great, but I wasn't level so I took it back. Immediately noticed the difference going over small bumps like into a driveway.

·
Registered
14,132 Posts
Thanks for the input and feedback guys.

What about this idea...just thinking out loud. Also, fwiw I'm looking for as close to LEVEL as possible or perhaps a small (I mean small) rake.

-2.5" Spacer up front with stock length OE replacement Bilstein shocks
-Rough Country UCA's
-5125's Rear with 2" block (or would I need 1.5" for more level?)
my setup varied but 3/1 net a small rake (back being higher) for my pro4x. 2/0 should be similar just a bit lower all around. my bilstein 5100 rear shocks did not like the 1" rear block.

it's frowned upon to run spacers with the front 5100's but i did it, other guys did it, and didn't have issues, BUT i've seen the shock eyelets bend from it. Just FYI. Street truck it'd probably be fine forever

IMO run a 325/60R18 on whatever wheels you choose, it'll look awesome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DK Bushing uppers, Bilsteins on mid perch and a 1.5" spacer, 1.5" block and 5125's in the back will set you right at 40.5" all the way around
Two more easy questions:
-Exactly how much lift was attained in the front with this setup?
-If I was to go with a 2.5" front spacer & 5100's on the bottom perch, would UCA's be required to avoid CBC?

Thanks again to all.
Mark

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
On a 2008-up Titan, anything over 1.5" of total front lift requires UCAs for clearance on the coil bucket.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Two more easy questions:
-Exactly how much lift was attained in the front with this setup?
-If I was to go with a 2.5" front spacer & 5100's on the bottom perch, would UCA's be required to avoid CBC?

Thanks again to all.
Mark
2.5" up front and 1.5" in the back total lift. Yes, anything over 1.5" on an 08+ 2wd will require UCA's

·
Registered
2013 Nissan Titan SV 4wd
10 Posts
Hey man I got a 2013 SV 4wd, my front struts are roughhhhh, about to replace them... but I do want the truck as close to level as I can, with the smoothest ride , so is bilsteins set close to level as smooth as if I buy oem height moogs or something and add a 1.5” spacer. Or ? Thanks

Leaving them on bottom perch the ride will be a lot smoother than OEM. The shop messed up when I had them installed and put them on the bottom when I wanted middle. The ride was great, but I wasn't level so I took it back. Immediately noticed the difference going over small bumps like into a driveway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts