Nissan Titan Forum banner

Bilstein & Wheel/Tire Combo Question

5K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Paskell 
#1 · (Edited)
Bilstein Question HELP

So after lurking for hours, I think I have finally decided the direction I want to go with my suspension. To start off, I have a 2015 SV 4x4. I would like to level my Titan while improving the ride quality with no rubbing or CBC. I would also like to avoid any kind of reverse rake look.

I think I have decided to install the Bilstein 5100's all the way around after seeing everyone's opinions of them. I believe that if I have the fronts on the middle perch, I will get around 1.5" of lift. If this is what I go with, is there anything else that I would need?

If I go with just the Bilstein's on the middle perch, what's the biggest tire size I could go with to avoid any type of rubbing? 285/60/20? (I have the stock 20" wheels, but would like to upgrade to some aftermarket 20" wheels).

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
I think I would be ok with just 1". Levels it out a little and should hopefully be a lot better ride than the OEM SV shocks.

#4 ·
You might be able to fit 295/60R20 tires without rubbing. Slightly taller, slightly wider than stock. 1" won't level you out but it'll cut down on the rake.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#29 ·
he won't fit that tire. i have 5100 on mid with prg 1.5" spacer. and i just barely can fit my 290/60r20 toyo at2 xtremes on the front. had to loose the mudflats and do a pwm

#5 ·
yup, should get 1" , and yes, itll ride very nice.

tire size is dependent on wheel offset. So if you change to aftermarket wheels with a - offset, chances are greater that your tires will rub.

#6 · (Edited)
Form what I have read, when looking at a 20" aftermarket wheel, it seems that I need to go with a 9" wide wheel with +10mm offset. With that it still would stick out about 1.1" inches further than stock. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though.

#7 ·
Don't know about 20's but with my 18's +12mm offset is the same backspacing as stock and it sticks out about .5-.75" farther with stock tires.

#10 ·
stock pro4x wheels are +25mm i thought?

plus stock pro4x are what 8" wide? whereas your 18's are more then likely 9" wide.

#8 ·
Hmm. Wonder if the info I read was wrong then.

#9 ·
After doing a little more research, with the Bilstein shocks/struts installed at middle perch giving me an extra inch in the front, could I fit a 20x9 wheel with a +1mm offset on a 305/55R20? From what I have seen I think I possibly could with minimal rubbing. Maybe could be fixed by the PWM. The wheel I want is only offered in -12, +1, & +20 offsets.

#12 ·
That should work. That's a 33x12. You may have to do a slight PWM, may not.

#13 ·
So this is the setup I am thinking so far:

Bilstein 5100's all the way around (set to bottom setting)
PRG MiniLift: 1.5" Front, 1" Rear
Fuel Octane 20x9 +1mm Offset Wheels
305/55R20 Toyo Open Country AT Tires

I don't think this setup should have any CBC, and I think I can get away with very minimal, if any trimming from rubbing.

#15 ·
Octanes with those 33's are gonna look so nice!

#16 ·
So I finally got everything installed by a shop here in town. First 10-15 miles were great! Then all of a sudden every bump I would hit would produce a "clanking" noise in both the L/F and R/F and almost feel like a little movement. They were closed, but I immediately took it back and dropped it off to get looked at in the morning. Any ideas on what it could be?

#17 · (Edited)
Re: Bilstein & Wheel/Tire Combo Question

If the 5100's weren't installed correctly they will make all sorts of noise. Shops have been know to install the bushings incorrectly. This thread shows how they are suppose to be installed. Start at page one for some reason the link jumps to the last page.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131439

#18 ·
He called me just a minute ago. Said they can't find anything wrong. He said that it appears that the "strut rod on the Bilsteins is skinnier than the OEM mount, so that is where the noises and movement is coming from."

Does this make any sense to anyone or ring a bell?

#19 ·
Re: Bilstein Question HELP

Thinking maybe they left the gold OEM washer out when installing these. After reading a few threads, that seems to be a very common problem. I haven't seen it myself to be sure, but I sent him information about that with a picture of one properly assembled. Hopefully that's all it is.

#20 ·
Well after I sent him an explanation along with a picture of one assembled correctly of the all too common washer problem, they seem to have agreed that they installed it incorrectly. They called me and said they have it put back together correctly this time, so hopefully everything is good to go. I know some guys seem to have horror stories about going back to their shops 2-3 times. Lol.

I don't think I will be going back to this shop. This is also a shop that claims to be experts at installing lift kits.....

#22 ·
After I sent them instructions with pictures on how to have it correctly assembled, they were able to put it together correctly. I love the setup now that it is all corrected! I have learned my lesson to just do it myself next time.

#24 ·

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

#26 ·

Killer set up man. I've got a 2014 SV 4x4 (all stock), and your rig is set up just like how I picture mine once I get a few mods / add ons complete. Is your's a pro 4x or did you put the finder flares on yourself? I want some flare's but don't like the hugh aftermarket ones. I think I'd like to get my hands on pro 4x flares.

#27 ·

Thanks! Probably way over researched it, but it turned out great.

It's actually a SV model. They have those flares on there from the factory on the 15 model. I liked them a lot.

#28 ·

Thanks! Probably way over researched it, but it turned out great.

It's actually a SV model. They have those flares on there from the factory on the 15 model. I liked them a lot.
Yeah they look real good. Figures I'd buy a 2014 SV when the 2015's had them already. Any ideas what other changes they made from 14-15?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.