Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of these black brake rotors from EBC, HAWK, etc... Actually remain black or do they all rub/erode away? I want black brake rotors, but I don't want it to look just like any other rotor after a few months

·
Registered
699 Posts
I believe its just a surface coating applied to the rotors, so the area where the pads contact the rotor will become shiny, the rest of the surface should resist rusting and stay blackish...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much what I thought.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anyone think Power Stop is as good as EBC, Hawk, StopTech, etc...?
I know EBC is one of the best brake brands out there. I use their Double-H Sintered brake pads on my 2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 ABS. Alot of people use those pads for track & street. 90% of sportbike racers use EBC.

I just hate how rotors, like how the OEM's have rust on them. Reason why I am wanting to go with a drilled &/or slotted rotor, is because I just installed a lift kit and have big heavy tires. I installed a pair of PRG Red Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines while doing the lift. My brake pads actually look brand new, but they are Nissan branded, so I know they aren't made if anything special. It will stop a relatively new Titan no problem, but a 2011 Titan Crew Cab Pro-4X, with some accessories and 101k miles... Braking declines.
So I bought a pair of EBC GreenStuff pads @ $78. I wanted to go with the Orange Stuff, but they were twice the price. The Green Stuff was expensive enough.
But now I'm thinking of returning them and going with the highest friction pad, the OrangeStuff Extra Duty pads @ $151. The YellowStuff is surprisingly a tad cheaper at $145.
I'm assuming the YellowStuff would last a little longer.

Plus add on the 76lb Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX A/T's and it's a total different ball game. And the game is serious when you live in a rural area with darting deer, loose cows and roaming horses that can get out.

I plan on upgrading my tires now that I went to a 6" lift. I wanted a narrower tire for fuel economy & because I only had a 1.5" lift (on my Pro-4X Springs) front & rear, so I barely squeezed in a 295/70/18, which is basically a narrow 35. Its a 34.25" tall tire.

Now I want a 35 or possibly a 36, which I know is an odd rare size unless on a special rim. I'm looking for a tire thats not so heavy too. These Coopers seem awfully heavy, but who knows. I would love to find a D Rated tire instead of an Rated tire for the weight savings & ride quality. E Rayed tires are meant more for 3/4 ton & 1 ton pickups. I don't think I'd even max the tire's capacity while towing at max payload.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I would really love to know, is how I can get the Akebono Caliper setup.
Apparently the Titan's, rarely, somehow came with Akebono calipers instead of Bosch calipers. The differnece is the Bosch setup has 320mm rotors & the Akebono setup has 350mm rotors

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Rotors are going to wear (and slightly rust) where the brake pad touches regardless of coating. I have slotted, zinc coated rotors with plain old ceramic pads. My T weighs in right around 6k pounds without anyone in it, and it stops just fine. I don't like the ceramic pads and will go with metallic after they wear. Once they get hot they work fine, but up until then the brakes are soft, and I really have to press to get to stop if I have to. It's possible my lines are bad, but I've bled the brakes multiple times since I installed the pads, and the issue is still there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts