Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a friend and I decided to take a trip through the northern Nevada deserts. We wanted to see things that normal people would never see so we looked at the map and the navigation system to find unimproved roads that didn't exist on either. We went about 200 - 300 miles on almost nothing but gravel roads, saw all sorts of wildlife and scenery. Ended up in the Black Rock Desert.

We we were about 6 miles from the end of the last road when the low tire warning went off. I immediately stopped so we could see how bad it was. In the time it took to stop and get out and figure out which tire was going down, it was flat. Rear passenger side tire. We had somehow sliced the tread open in the center of the tire. OK, no big deal. We jacked it up, put on the spare and continued on our way. That was the plan anyway.

About 500 yards down the road the alarm went off again. I thought it was because we used the spare and it didn't have the sensor in it. I stopped again and we looked and found that now the rear driver's side tire was going down.

OK this is not good. It was about 9pm and we were still about 6 miles from any type of civilization. To top it off, we had no cell service so no chance of calling anyone for help.

Time for a new plan. The pressure gauge on the navigation system showed we had about 8 pounds of pressure left in the tire so we decided to drive very very slowly the remaining distance and try to get to a service station. We made it with about 3 pounds of pressure left in the tire only to find that the station was closed and they had removed the air hose for the night.

Fortunately we were only a few miles away from Gerlach and this week they are hosting a Nevada-only experience called "Burning Man". There were dozens of hippies in campers and mobile homes heading there. They actually expect over 50,000 people to show up this week.

One of the guys had a compressor and offered to inflate the tire. We got it up to 35 pounds and it immediately started losing air. At that point someone told us that 5 miles down the road was another service station and all their lights were on. So off we went at 30 mph watching the pressure drop the whole way. Get there with about 15 pounds left only to find that this station was also closed and only the grocery store was open.

I found that I had spotty cell service at this point so we called a friend back in Reno to come get us and take the two tires back with us. By this time it was 10pm. It took them two hours to make the drive to get us. Then we had to make the drive back to Reno. Got home at 2am.

This morning we took the tires to Sears and found that both of them were sliced too bad to patch so I had to buy two new tires, get my friend to drive me back to my truck, help me put them on and then we both had to drive back.

On top of all this, I am moving back to Chicago in two weeks so I have to call the dealership in town and make an appointment to check everything before I leave.

Anyone else have as much fun this weekend.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
sounds like fun -- I had to work an extra night so I started on Thursday night instead of Friday night! what kind of tires were they???

·
Registered
257 Posts
i cant say i had that much fun my highlight for the weekend was picking up a 87 supra(nonturbo). wow, that sucks man! almost getting stranded in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like fun. at lease the driver rear could hold the air for a while so you could make your way around. i haven't even had a nail yet and hope i never do! i hate getting tires repaired

i feel your pain, sorry that had to happen

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Sounds like you still have the stock tires on.

I blew 2 myself on a trip up in the mountains out west a few years ago.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Must have been Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's???

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Sounds like an aweseome adventure!

Trading Reno for Chicago? That will be a culture shock!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tires were Goodyear Wrangler Rugged Trail T/A's I would have thought that something with the name Trail in it would have lasted more. At $250 each they should have.

I got the off-road bug out of my system according to my wife which in "wife speak" means that I am not going to be doing that again any time soon.

I spent the last 6 months living in Reno working on a contract job. We couldn't sell our house for what we wanted to make the final move in this lousy market so I decided to return home instead. Now I have a job where I work from home so I will become a house husband back in Chicago.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
FYI I have 4 wheels (18") with 2 good tires mounted and balanced taking up space in case this happens to someone else...

I'd let em go for a real reasonable price as my girlfriend is B*tching about them taking up space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts