Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a modified 2007 Titan with BT (mods include bullet cats, modified exhaust, & K&N FIPK Filter). Last weekend, I towed a heavy boat (total load of about 9k) about four hours. After dropping the load, my SES light came on. Howeiver, no problems or running issues at this point.

After towing the boat home on Monday (SES still stuck on), I noticed that my computer was stating that the fuel mileage was getting back (about 4 MPG at that point). When I pulled home, the truck was now blowing some white smoke and the exhaust did not smell good. Later that night, when I moved the truck, some residue blew out the exhaust. The residue was sooty but not oily. The next morning, I towed the boat to storage. When I started the truck, I had the white smoke again, but the smoking issue was resolved by the time I got my boat to storage (20 minutes later).

The truck seems to be running fine, but the SES light is still on (I have not run the ECU reset yet, as I want to ge tthe codes first). I have checked the oil, antifreeze and transmission fluid and they all look good with no signs of fluid loss. During the trip, the temperature of the truck and transmission never got high and always looked good.

I don't know if I got a bad tank of gas (the problems with the smoking were late in the day after my last fill-up) or are related to the two million love bugs that coated the front of my truck (and were cleaned off when I got home). The MPG is doing good again now, but not sure if it was good at the end of towing the boat to storage.

I know I am close to the max load on truck, but has anyone experienced these issues? Any advice on how to proceed? I have a long towing trip planned in three weeks, and hope that my new Titan can make it OK.:computern

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
White smoke usually indicates water in the engine.
Might be bad gas!!

Reset the ecu and get some fresh gas.

Run it a week, if you have any more issues, take it straight to the dealer!!!

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
SoBeGraphics said:
white smoke is water but probably not in the gas. you may have blown a gasket. go to the dealer immediately.
He said it had stopped, if it were a gasket, it wouldn't stop.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
SoBeGraphics said:
i wouldn't take a chance. watch the temp and git er to the dealer.
And check your coolant level!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I don't want to take the Truck to the dealer because I am sure that they will blame the issue on my non-factory cats and modified exhaust.

I checked the coolant and it looks good. Transmission fluid also looks like new (why did Nissan design the Transmission dip stick with a lock nut over it?). I am hoping it is bad gas....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Last time I saw white smoke out of an exhaust was a blown head gasket. I think you would be foolish, to continue driving in its current state, without knowing exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
789 Posts
non factory cats and a modified exhaust will not void your warranty unless they are found to be the direct cause for the problem.

Musky - same here happened twice to me. My first car a 79 VW rabbit and an 87 nissan sentra - both had blown head gaskets.
________
Vermont dispensary

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
SoBeGraphics said:
non factory cats and a modified exhaust will not void your warranty unless they are found to be the direct cause for the problem.

Musky - same here happened twice to me. My first car a 79 VW rabbit and an 87 nissan sentra - both had blown head gaskets.
Had that happen on a friends 76 MG Midget. He bought it in Houston and drove back to Dallas where I lived. Car kept overheating and finally blew. He had to fly back to Texas after the repair to drive it back to Wisconsin.

Problem was related to his radiator not cooling properly. I suspect in this case towing that load for that long, and maybe having a corroded core, low coolant, bad temp sensor, or other failure may have led to an overheating situation, and finally the head gasket failure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I missing something? The engine temperature and transmission temperature was fine. I had no indication of overheating, just poor gas mileage. If I blew a head gasket, I would expect it to continue smoking and not fix itself.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Go get the code read please...

Also the gauge if needle is straight up on my coolent it can be 200+ by the time it goes to H your screwed. My truck shut down one day at 20K all stock due to it being to hot and that was just driving in Texas heat in Houston.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went and got the codes tonight. No surprise here. A total of five "error" messages with the following:

P0420 - Catalytic Efficiency below threshold Bank 1 (2x)
P0430 - Catalytic Efficiency below threshold Bank 2 (2x)
P0174 - System too lean

With the modified exhaust, no surprise. Not sure what to make of the "system too lean" - Any idea what causes this?

They reset the SES light. So far, it has not come back on. Guesses?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'd say both your cats are gone, hence the dust material you mentioned earlier. What cats did you replace the stockers with and are you a 4x2 or 4x4?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck is a 4x2. I don't know the make of the cats (I did not perform the mods, they were installed on the truck prior to me buying it). The cats are small without markings, and were described to me as "bullet" cats.

I may look at these later this weekend to see if I can see any markings on them. What would cause the cats to fail?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Likely a faulty AFR sensor and or MAF as it were in my case with just a Banks exhaust installed. The lack luster sensors caused a rich condition which threw those same codes and my fuel economy dropped from 13 to 10 just prior to the codes. I was lucky and my motor was saved but the passenger cat was in pieces.

Does your truck have headers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, my truck has performance headers. Thanks for the advice, I have made an appointment to have the MAF and AFR sensors examined. Any idea if the dealership is going to give sh#$ about my mods when they look at this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts