Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blown rear axle seal 18000 miles

I have a 05 KC 4x4 and my drivers side rear axle seal is leaking.

Does the dealer normally replace the seal or the differential?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Mine was covered under the powertrain warranty, the seal only. Some have been fortunate and the dealer decided to replace the whole rear end, lucky... Not very likely though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice deal. They replaced my seal, bearing, and collar on the driver's side.

·
Super Moderator
161,032 Posts
They're only doing the seal on mine. I'm scheduled weekend after next.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Now you can do the Truetrac afterwards! :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BillR said:
Nice deal. They replaced my seal, bearing, and collar on the driver's side.
I checked the passenger side it was beginning to leak also, the area around the seal was wet. I don't know if this was a factor in the dealership deciding to replace the whole rear axle.

Carbeaux said:
They're only doing the seal on mine. I'm scheduled weekend after next.
I had to tell the dealer to put a rush on the axle because I am going on vacation next week and didnt want to drive 900 miles with a leaky axle.
dealership says Tuesday I hope everything goes smooth because vacation starts Thursday.

TitanBlue said:
Now you can do the Truetrac afterwards! :)
I wish I could man but Ive spent my mod money for the next couple of months
I haven't even had a chance to get them all installed yet!! :signed:

·
Registered
602 Posts
just had my passenger side replaced this week. and theyreplaced seal baering and collar thats all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dksfowler said:
just had my passenger side replaced this week. and theyreplaced seal baering and collar thats all.

I wonder if the axle Im getting is a updated design or the same old thing. i thought they would just try to repair the seal on mine but at the same time I was afraid that it would leak again when I was out of warranty...so over all Im happy there replacing the whole thing.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no 4wd Issues because mne works perfectly now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Titan SE Crew a couple weeks ago. it now has 830 miles on it and the driver side rear axle seal appears to be leaking. this is my first Titan. Should i be worried about the reliability of the truck. It also has the A/C drain problem.

·
Super Moderator
35,747 Posts
2008 titan se crew said:
I just bought a 2008 Titan SE Crew a couple weeks ago. it now has 830 miles on it and the driver side rear axle seal appears to be leaking. this is my first Titan. Should i be worried about the reliability of the truck. It also has the A/C drain problem.
Take it to the dealer and get it fixed ASAP.

Tell them of your concerns.

Post some photos of your problems.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2008 titan se crew said:

Take that sucker back to the dealer and DEMAND they fix it or give you a new truck. If you do not get satisfaction escalate higher. The longer you wait the harder it will be

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
2008 titan se crew said:
I took my titan in a few times for some minor leaks etc, But ever since it was fixed no problems. Just make sure you work out all the kinks before your warranty is up :) It's a good truck reliable as anything these days...

The axles and rear diff's on the titan are aparently it's largest weakspot. Although supposedly they fixed these issues by in 07.

I am going to bet that most of the axle seal leaks are because of that stupid one way valve on the diff. It needs to breath BOTH directions WTF!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
I am going to bet that most of the axle seal leaks are because of that stupid one way valve on the diff. It needs to breath BOTH directions WTF!
Why do you think it doesn't breath in both directions?

I don't think the metal cap on the vent can seal the air from going in the axle.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Learjet said:
Why do you think it doesn't breath in both directions?

I don't think the metal cap on the vent can seal the air from going in the axle.

The cap is a one way vent. It basically works off of gravity though. Unless there is air pressure built up inside the diff, the gravity causes the cap to rest down on the valve in a "closed" position. There is a rubber gasket of sorts in the cap itself which is designed to seal it off.

It's a pretty stupid design really. Especially for anyone who backs a boat trailer into the water. It leaves the rear diff open to possible water contamination.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am neither a mechanic nor have I played one on TV, but why would Nissan be willing to replace the whole axle if only a seal is bad. Are the dealer mechanics that incompetent that they are not trusted by the company that trained them?

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Because some are just genorous enough and realize there is a problem with the rear axle assemblies. They'd rather do it all at once than have the customer coming in a few months later with another blown seal or a broken diff.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you think the metal and crud we see everytime when changing the diff fluid could be enough to eat at the seals and ruin them?

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Learjet said:
Do you think the metal and crud we see everytime when changing the diff fluid could be enough to eat at the seals and ruin them?
Not really, the particles are fine enough that they are just floating around in there, until the magnet picks them up. I'll stand by my opinion that the axle vent is the problem.

·
Registered
779 Posts
you may be on to something... I last drove my truck about 6 hours ago for just a few miles and your comments about the vent being a check valve had me really curious. So, I popped the cap off and too my surprise a nice vacuum had formed. Enough that it took almost a second to equalize.

I am going to start another thread about this.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will do the mod!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts