Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just blew the rear out of my 2004 crew cab SE. I dond't drive the truck hard and all I was doing at the time was accelerating uphill. No leaks from the rear. Nothing to make me think it might be coming (I'm also a H.E. mechanic). Thankfully I only have 41000 miles and am still under warranty. Anyone else have anything like this at such low mileage???

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
LItitan said:
I just blew the rear out of my 2004 crew cab SE. I dond't drive the truck hard and all I was doing at the time was accelerating uphill. No leaks from the rear. Nothing to make me think it might be coming (I'm also a H.E. mechanic). Thankfully I only have 41000 miles and am still under warranty. Anyone else have anything like this at such low mileage???
Welcome to Titantalk.

You're the first who's blown your rear end...sorry to read about it.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Hi!!

Nice first post!!!!

What are you planning on doing now that you've been blown????

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, i think you're the first. Is your truck 4WD or 2WD?

·
Registered
897 Posts
You should have drove the truck hard to heat treat the ring and pinion.

Did you have synthetic oil in there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry if any of my posts seem a bit awkward but I'm not the most computer savy!! I am however truly enjoying this site. I didn't have synthetic oil in it, just what they put in it at the factory. I sent it to the dealer yesterday and the service writer told me this was definately not the first he's seen. He didn't have any reason as to why they were blowing. For as long as I have had the truck it has felt like there was to much "slack" in the drive train. Sometimes when you would take off from a stop you would feel a bit of a clunk. But thats been going on for three years. Just figured it was a quirk with the truck, but looking back now.....I jsut can't believe that with all the titans out there, I got the only one with a faulty rear. There wasn't even a drop of oil leaking from it. Well at least it's under warranty!:futwice:

·
Super Moderator
37,270 Posts
LItitan said:
sorry if any of my posts seem a bit awkward but I'm not the most computer savy!! I am however truly enjoying this site. I didn't have synthetic oil in it, just what they put in it at the factory. I sent it to the dealer yesterday and the service writer told me this was definately not the first he's seen. He didn't have any reason as to why they were blowing. For as long as I have had the truck it has felt like there was to much "slack" in the drive train. Sometimes when you would take off from a stop you would feel a bit of a clunk. But thats been going on for three years. Just figured it was a quirk with the truck, but looking back now.....I jsut can't believe that with all the titans out there, I got the only one with a faulty rear. There wasn't even a drop of oil leaking from it. Well at least it's under warranty!:futwice:
Sorry that you fell for our warped sense of humor. There are numerous threads on the rear differential. Search function at the top of the header page is your friend.

Here's one to get you started:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/33234-heres-rear-diff-failures-reported.html?highlight=rear+differential+failures

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I jsut can't believe that with all the titans out there, I got the only one with a faulty rear. There wasn't even a drop of oil leaking from it. Well at least it's under warranty!
I'm going to let you off the hook....He's pulling your chain, welcome to the "Blown Rear End" club...Many members.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Yes young Grasshopper....Lurk & Learn....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have fallen for it but at least I now know that I'm not the only one. Glad to meet you all. Thanks for the info. You'll see more of me, this site is great

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have also blown out my rear end. It had 33000 miles on it. The truck has pulled a small trailer twice and been off road once. The left axle seal leaked, when the dealership checked it out, they ended up replacing the whole rear end. They never really told me why and I never really asked why. They just replaced the whole rear end. Since then, it still never feels to drive the same as before.

·
Banned
40 Posts
and God forbid that you bend your frame while towing a trailer! Its always driver error! but thats their excuse! LOL
Now I should check my rear! LOL before it goes too! Its just a tow rig:grimrippe never gets abused. But that Dana 44 will blow:smoke: what the secret to make it last?

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of the main problems with the Titan - faulty rear end design and manufacture

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ive been feeling some slack in my rear end for a few weeks,on and off and getting worse the more I keep driving, My trucks in the shop getting the rear axel seals replaced becasue of a leak and before its to late im putting trutrax in my rearend as soon as im able to order it which is sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
LItitan said:
I didn't have synthetic oil in it, just what they put in it at the factory.
So you had 41,000 miles on original oil that isn't even spec'd for the Titan anymore?

That just might have been a contributing factor, just maybe....

·
Registered
14 Posts
LItitan said:
I have an 04 LE 4x4 and I had my rear replaced at 54,000. Nissan gave me a brand spanking new one. And since I have had it replaced I am also experiencing the slack in the drivetrain since the new install. I have brought it pack 3 times to the stealership to hear them say that there is nothing wrong with it. When obviously there is, and it's getting worse. When I come to a stop I feel and hear a thump right before I stop. If I dont hear of feel it when I stop I hear it and feel it when I take my foot off the brake and accelerate. This didn't happen before my rear was replaced and I think it's a defect in the rear itself. But frigon nissan keeps saying its all right. I only have 3000 miles left on my power train warrenty now and I feel like they are waiting for me to pass 60k so they can charge me to fix the problem when I bring it in again. Honestly I am loosing all trust Nissan as I feel they are screwing me over. I think when this truck goes I might be forced to buy a Tundra because I can't stand the lies that come out of the dealers mouth, why do I say lies, because one time I brought it in for a routine service and they told me the belt that drove the ac compressor and the powerstearing was dry rotted. So asked what about the water pump and alternator belt. they said it was fine so I inturn said wtf it's G D serpentine belt, it's one belt ahole, why are you trying to rip me off?? Since then I have lost all trust in their service department, I love nissan cars but the idiots that work there are a**holes. Sorry for the rant, but yes I have had rear end problems and so has a few others that I know. It's a **** rear, probably better of buyin an after market dana 60 with a true trac.

·
Super Moderator
37,270 Posts
Johnnyp311 said:
I have an 04 LE 4x4 and I had my rear replaced at 54,000. Nissan gave me a brand spanking new one. And since I have had it replaced I am also experiencing the slack in the drivetrain since the new install. I have brought it pack 3 times to the stealership to hear them say that there is nothing wrong with it. When obviously there is, and it's getting worse. When I come to a stop I feel and hear a thump right before I stop. If I dont hear of feel it when I stop I hear it and feel it when I take my foot off the brake and accelerate. This didn't happen before my rear was replaced and I think it's a defect in the rear itself. But frigon nissan keeps saying its all right. I only have 3000 miles left on my power train warrenty now and I feel like they are waiting for me to pass 60k so they can charge me to fix the problem when I bring it in again. Honestly I am loosing all trust Nissan as I feel they are screwing me over. I think when this truck goes I might be forced to buy a Tundra because I can't stand the lies that come out of the dealers mouth, why do I say lies, because one time I brought it in for a routine service and they told me the belt that drove the ac compressor and the powerstearing was dry rotted. So asked what about the water pump and alternator belt. they said it was fine so I inturn said wtf it's G D serpentine belt, it's one belt ahole, why are you trying to rip me off?? Since then I have lost all trust in their service department, I love nissan cars but the idiots that work there are a**holes. Sorry for the rant, but yes I have had rear end problems and so has a few others that I know. It's a **** rear, probably better of buyin an after market dana 60 with a true trac.
Ever think of taking it to another dealer?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wildmike said:
You should have drove the truck hard to heat treat the ring and pinion.

Did you have synthetic oil in there?
Driving the truck hard wont heat treat the ring gear and pinion, it may work harden them slightly after they have wear fitted. The pinion splines and threads are hardened.

·
Registered
792 Posts
LItitan said:

WOW you made it to 41K on your rear? My first one went at 15,000 miles. Which seems to be about average.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts