Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dented my tailgate this morning. My condo parking sucks and barely supports a Honda Civic let alone a CC Titan. Backing into my space I found out the 6 ft snow banks (which now make my parking lot suitable for a Smart Car) are much more solid than they were a few weeks ago thanks to the latest round of freezing rain and cold temps.

Anyway, the dent is just below the tailgate handle shroud. Not a horrible disfigured or hugely pushed in dent but enough to notice. The raise portion of the tailgate which surrounds the shroud is now flat. I'm not sure if it can even be fixed without getting a new tailgate and just pounded out.

My question is, if it can't be pounded out do I have to buy a whole new tailgate or do they sell just the outer skin? Which ever of the three options it requires I'm gonna pay for regardless but until I make it to a bodyshop I just want to know what I'm in for price wise from a body shop. The good part of the story is I can just leave the tailgate with the shop and not be w/o my truck for a week.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Can you post a pic? There might be other alternatives.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad, no pic as of now. I'll try for later today.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
They do sell the tailgate in many separate parts, i believe you can get the outer skin. i might be wrong, its been a while since i was looking at tailgates.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
replacing the skin will probably be the cheapest and easiest way to go. i need to replace mine to because it was all dented and scratched when i bought it. or look for a junk yard tail gate in good shape and have it repainted

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Replacing the tailgate "skin" will probably be the MOST expensive option. And, if you got Smoke, Radiant Silver or that Granite color, it could be a difficult color to match properly especially with Smoke. You're best option is scanning the local Craigslist ads for Titan tailgates. There's a guy here in Cali that sells them. He even offers them in various factory colors too. If that doesn't work, you can always try Copart. They usually have a good supply of wrecked Titans to choose from. However, if the dent is not that bad, you can call a Paintless Dent Repair place and have them look at it. Removing a big dent where the crease line begins at the tailgate bib is going to be tricky, but those guys can seemingly pull off miracles sometimes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went around to get a quote yesterday. Fixing the orignal gate is out of the question. Just being dented around some seams/creases and the chance of not being 100% I decided not to even attempt it. I tried the craigslist route with nothing local around me. I only found one at the local junkyard for $450. The oem gate lists for $436 granted it only a shell.

So anyways, I got a few quotes for around $1000. The oem gate is $436, $50ish for the emblems, and the rest is labor and material. I guess this will teach :hat: me to watch out for those dangerous snowbanks full of ice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts