Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wasn't even thinking more spark... just more exposed spark. thought maybe it'd provide more efficient combustion... thought it might also not matter a bit. LOL. just curious.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
with the coils in our engines, we are getting a quick fire rate anyways, no matter if you have two, three, or four spark points, you can only ignite as fast and hard as the oxygen supply offers... just be careful about non-iridium plugs, due to the amount of heat our engines create... do some research on "iridium" and find out why it is the choice product over platinum, as well as it being the OEM and recommended aftermarket OEM equivalent... (I'm no expert, but my $.02 is from what I have researched myself...)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it wouldn't matter then to have the spark more fully exposed with the offset "arms" of this plug vs. a standard plug where the "arm" on the plug bends over the top of the plug itself? (hopefully that made sense. LOL)

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
so it wouldn't matter then to have the spark more fully exposed with the offset "arms" of this plug vs. a standard plug where the "arm" on the plug bends over the top of the plug itself? (hopefully that made sense. LOL)
You're not going to pick-up any power by changing to another spark plug. The factory set-up is just fine...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know. This was more of a conversational thread really... I'm a curious guy. I wouldn't have been looking for power anyway. Like you said, the factory setup provides me with plenty of power. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for fuel economy though. I mean, I'm pleased with the millage I'm getting... but some people like to mod/tweak their rides for power or speed - I like to do the same for fuel economy. lol.

·
Registered
942 Posts
SirKeats said:
I know. This was more of a conversational thread really... I'm a curious guy. I wouldn't have been looking for power anyway. Like you said, the factory setup provides me with plenty of power. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for fuel economy though. I mean, I'm pleased with the millage I'm getting... but some people like to mod/tweak their rides for power or speed - I like to do the same for fuel economy. lol.

Yea, I know what you mean on getting better MPG, have you seen this TBS?

It is suppose to increase performance and increase MPG by 1-2MPG...anything helps. know of anyone using one yet?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MVC%2D5710&N=700+4294922887+115&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I am pretty skeptical on the effectiveness of any TBS. Some guys swear by it though....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Overide said:
I am pretty skeptical on the effectiveness of any TBS. Some guys swear by it though....

Yea, I have heard the same, some guys say its one of the best mods for the price, others say they didn't see much of a difference, guess it depends on your setup as to whether or not you will see any improvements.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
hmm... interesting. i've seen ppl mention these here before, but like you said, some folks say they help, others say they're a scam.

EDIT: oops. did that wrong. hehehe. assuming best case scenario of a gain of 2mpg, you're looking at a savings of 2.08 cents per mile. At 100 bucks, you'd have to drive 4807 miles to make your money back on the spacer. Still not super bad... but not as good as I had originally thought.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Throttle body spacers have worked in some applications. A lot depends on how well the intake system was originally tuned/designed.

Most TBS's increase throttle response and that doesn't show up on any dyno. There have been many engines tuned on a dyno and then just didn't perform as good in the truck/car as the dyno numbers predicted.
This why it's so important to do real world testing in addition to dyno time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts