Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I put a set in my wife's old neon way back when they first came out. The car got totaled out before we ran a full tank of gas through it though, damn teenagers. The only thing I noticed was a crisper throttle response, nothing major, just slightly.

I also put a set in my buddies frontier last year, and he said his truck runs soooo much better, but he also went 140,000 miles before he told me his spark plugs have never been changed!

·
Registered
223 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
I'm looking at replacing the stock ones with the 4+ Bosch Platniums. Anyone use these? See any slight increases in gas milage? Just wondering.

I actaully tried them in my Titan before I sold it. I saw NO gas mileage increase and the top end seemed to be just a little off. I went with the Denso Iridium (part number IKH16), and loved them. No more hicup at the higher end of the RPM band, and much smoother start up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bosch plugs suck imho in japaneese engines, at least my supra anyways, horrible to put it politely. Run either NGK"S or nippondenso plugs, if you want to run a premium plug run the ngk iridiums, not going to give much of a performance increase compared to new copper or plat plugs, but will give new plug consistancy for a much longer period then either plat, or copper plugs.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
I'm looking at replacing the stock ones with the 4+ Bosch Platniums. Anyone use these? See any slight increases in gas milage? Just wondering.
Stick with the better NGK platinums you have. The Bosch platinums are a few steps down from the NGKs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Something to keep in mind about the +4's. Remember that current will take the path of least resistance and with 4 grounds the spark will jump to the post with the least distance. As the grounds wear your spark path will change with them. I had them installed on my silverado 5.3 and as the spark path changed the grounds interfered to the point of making the engine run like crap because the spark path moved to the far side of the plug away from the intake port making ignition harder. I'd recommend using a quality iridium plug and if need be index them for the best ignition possible. There is a new plug on the market with a built in capacitor however I don't have any experience with them to comment on.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Puffnstuff said:
Something to keep in mind about the +4's. Remember that current will take the path of least resistance and with 4 grounds the spark will jump to the post with the least distance. As the grounds wear your spark path will change with them. I had them installed on my silverado 5.3 and as the spark path changed the grounds interfered to the point of making the engine run like crap because the spark path moved to the far side of the plug away from the intake port making ignition harder. I'd recommend using a quality iridium plug and if need be index them for the best ignition possible. There is a new plug on the market with a built in capacitor however I don't have any experience with them to comment on.
I think your truck had other issues. The spark didn't move enough for you to have any ill effects. The far side of the plug?....that's what....1/1000th of an inch? And the center diode doesn't move so the spark is actually still at the center of the plug. More likely, a bad plug(s) altogether was the culprit if changing them, cured the problem.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
I got the NGK iridiums...won't have them put in until monday. Any special instructions? Anyone have experience with them?
Just make sure to gap them to specs, and if you want to be really anal about it, you can also index them.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yellomantis said:
Just make sure to gap them to specs, and if you want to be really anal about it, you can also index them.
Whats the specs for the gap on our spark plugs? Can I just measure the last spark plugs with the gauge and gap the new spark plugs like that?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
Whats the specs for the gap on our spark plugs? Can I just measure the last spark plugs with the gauge and gap the new spark plugs like that?
I have no idea on the gap specs. Sometimes you can find that info on the emissions label under the hood.

Depending on mileage, gapping plugs by going off the old ones isn't a really good idea. As they wear, the gap increases as the electrode burns off. I have seen plugs that are spec'd for 35 that when I pulled them out, they were at 65. That's an extreme case, but you get the drift.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yellomantis said:
I have no idea on the gap specs. Sometimes you can find that info on the emissions label under the hood.

Depending on mileage, gapping plugs by going off the old ones isn't a really good idea. As they wear, the gap increases as the electrode burns off. I have seen plugs that are spec'd for 35 that when I pulled them out, they were at 65. That's an extreme case, but you get the drift.
I'll just look at it in the computer at the shop. It should show the specs for my truck. Thanks for the input though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts