Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 with navi and Rockford Fosgate sound
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed one day while looking in my side mirror that my rear wheel was wobbling. I looked to the passenger side and same thing..... I'm very worried about what might be going on with my truck but I can't feel any vibration or anything at any speed. I haven't hit anything or even a curb with any kind of significance..... Any feedback is appreciated!! Thank you

Unbound Titan

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Might just be sidewall inconsistencies. Could be rear end issues. Get under and look for wet oil spots on the backing plates and check your diff fluid.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evererything looks good I'm not leaking. What do you mean by "sidewall inconsistencies "? Do you think warped rotors could cause this?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sidewall inconsistencies would be tire issues (you "see" wobble, but the reality is, the rim is straight, but the tire is fatter in one place than another). There are only a few things which can cause this sort of wobble. In order of bad to not as bad, it's a bad axle housing, bent axles, bad bearings, warped wheels, or odd-shaped tires. If you're not "feeling" the wobble, just seeing it, have a tire shop put your tires on the balancing machine and check the rim runout. If the rim has nominal runout, it's tires. That's what you're hoping for, let me assure you. If it's rims, still not a terrible fix (but expensive). If it's bearings or axles or the housing, it's a big fix, and likely as expensive or more than wheels.

Warped rotors would not cause the tire to look wobbly, but it can cause a wobbly feel in the steering wheel or seat of your pants (depending on whether it's front or rear warping). Since you're not feeling anything, it's not likely warped rotors, either. If it were something warped enough to see in the side mirror, it would be warped enough to feel.

Since you have no leaks visible and you're not feeling it, just seeing it in the mirror, it's not likely to be the axle housing, and less likely to be bearings. Again, first step is eliminate the easy stuff. If you have a dial indicator and know how to use it, you can set up and measure your wheel runout at home (on jackstands). If you don't, a tire shop should be able to do it - provided they are not just a "corporate tire shop" where they know how to mount and balance. Find a good hot rod shop or 4wd shop and they can likely help you.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your help I'm going to take those steps and hope for the best.... THANK YOU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts