Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 axle assembly had a lot of issues (blown seals, exploded e-brake, 215k miles) so rather than buy all the tools (press, die grinder, etc) and parts, I decided to just get one that's in better shape and do that.

I bought an eBay axle assembly from a 2007 with 128k miles, listed as grade A. When it arrived, the axles seals and the pinion seal are obviously leaking. One badly, as you can see from the buildup in the photo.

This axle wasn't cheap, so I was expecting grade A to mean "ready to bolt on and drive". Was I an idiot? Am I being unfair if I go back to the scrap yard and ask for them to fix this?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
That depends on what "grade A" is supposed to mean for that vendor. I would expect it means better than "needs rebuilding" but maybe their standards are very low. I'd start a conversation about what grade A is and how this does or does not meet that criteria.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Grade A means in good working order which even the laziest of inspection can see that's not. That one looks like it was taken off for the same reason you are replacing yours. I'd return that for a full refund and bite the bullet (replace the seals). Even if it was grade A there's no guarantee 5k miles it won't blow seals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If that's grade "A" I'd love what that place considers as used or junk. Probably be better off fixing yours unless its rotted or beyond repair. What's a new one cost? Sometimes a good deal bites ya and you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I know what Grade A means at a junkyard. But this is from an ebay seller, so they may have different standards. You may want to look around locally and see if there are any Titans in your local yards. Might get lucky and find a later model with a bad front end wreck and a truly grade A rear axle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if it was grade A there's no guarantee 5k miles it won't blow seals.
If it had truly been grade A, I would have replaced the faulty breather valve with a brass barb and a tube, to help prevent that.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
They didn't send you a photo of it before you bought it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They didn't send you a photo of it before you bought it?
No. Apparently it's supposed to be inspected before it leaves their place, but it wasn't for some reason. I'm working to try to get a refund.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing I don't understand yet: why are the axle assemblies listed as different when it's a 4x4 or a 4x2 truck? Shouldn't the rear ends be the same?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Spring perch angles are different.

Reactions: taev and HRTKD

·
Premium Member
2013 Pro-4X - Graphite Blue Metallic
352 Posts
Dayum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts