Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else hate this setup. I tried to back my truck up to a snow pile to load my sled on. As I backed up one wheel started to slip, then the other . At this point, between the brakes trying to stop the spin as well as the
engine managment syst. cutting engine power to stop spin the truck went into a full body seizure. It just sat there and shuddered. Like the VDC this syst. should have an override switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I thought I read in the manual that the VDC switch
just cuts the yaw control but the BALS stays on . ILL give it try anyway., Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The ABLS does continue to work with the VDC turned off, but at least you will be able to increase engine power as you see fit. If both tires are slipping there's not a whole lot any type of limited slip could do for you.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, these trucks have a Dana axle. If it is a Dana 60 or 44 there are a multitude of gears and posi units for it, providing the splines and axle diameters are the same. I guess that E-locker would also work.

Wow, that sucks that you (we) can't turn that off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I dont recommend it, I got underneath the rear end
and disconnected the ABS/ABLS whoziwhazit. While I was
able to lay a sick patch, the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Reconnected things and everything went back to normal. This is the only thing nissan muffed, the VDC should be fulltime and the ABLS should be on demand(button).

·
Registered
11 Posts
These trucks have dana 44 front and rear and my truck has a VDC off button on the dash below the heater controls. My dealer told me to shut it off when off roading and it does make a difference. :cheers:

·
Registered
497 Posts
PigPen said:
While I dont recommend it, I got underneath the rear end
and disconnected the ABS/ABLS whoziwhazit. While I was
able to lay a sick patch, the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Reconnected things and everything went back to normal. This is the only thing nissan muffed, the VDC should be fulltime and the ABLS should be on demand(button).
i dont think you want VDC to be full time since the VDC cuts your engine power rendering you helpless when both tires are slipping, if you turn it off with the VDC switch you can bring your engine up to any rpm you want, even with ABLS on. ive done it myself many times on minor trails, abls isnt "powerful" enough to stop your engine if you really juice it. when on minor trails ive found out that you have to feed it a bit and the abls will wither kick in or after a certain point wont do a thing, 1 wheel may spin or both.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Quad T said:
I don't have a Titan yet, and I don't have time this weekend to go deal with a pesky salesperson, but all I want to know is this:

VERSION ONE- if you stop the truck in 2WD on dirt, leave the VDC active and stand on the gas, what do you get?
- do you get only 1 tire spinning and turning over the dirt
- do you get 1 tire spinning and then the other tire spinning and then back to the first tire spinning and turning over the dirt
- do you get both tires spinning at the same time turning over the dirt
- do you get a truck that just limits power and applies brakes and just limps forward like a sick puppy

VERSION TWO- if you stop the truck in 2WD on dirt, turn the VDC off and stand on the gas, what do you get?
- do you get only 1 tire spinning and turning over the dirt
- do you get 1 tire spinning and then the other tire spinning and then back to the first tire spinning and turning over the dirt
- do you get both tires spinning at the same time turning over the dirt
I'm reposting my question from the other thread in General Discussion forum.
Any help as in real answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Davace97 said:
If both tires are slipping there's not a whole lot any type of limited slip could do for you.
I partially agree and disagree.

I have a '95 Nissan XE-V6 4x4 KC, it came with the factory LSD in the rear diff. There have been many times in deep snow that I have gotten through because I was able to apply a lot of chewing power to BOTH back tires. I was spinning BOTH rear wheels, not just one.

Keep in mind my 4x4 system is antiquated. To get 4WD I have to come to a complete stop, shift into 4WD HIGH or 4WD LOW then start up again. There are lots of times I'm in 2WD only and I come upon deep drifted snow. The traditional LSD allows me to get both rear wheels powering through without having to stop, shift into 4WD and find out I'm completely stuck because I have lost all my forward momentum.

My concern with the Titan boils down to this very same issue. It sounds to me like I will never be able to spin BOTH back tires at the same time. In addition although the e-locker may be awesome technology, I would have to drive around in 4WD LOW all the time (you know that will not work) or come to a complete stop in the middle of a snow drift to shift into 4WD LOW so I can turn on the e-locker, and then hope like heck I can get out from a dead stop.

To me it sounds like VDC and ABLS are not going to give me that snow chewing power and capability.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quad T said:
I'm reposting my question from the other thread in General Discussion forum.
Any help as in real answers would be greatly appreciated.
Here's my $0.02. I do not have the VDC so I cannot answer on that issue. I do have a CC SE 4x4, and have played in the sand, on my own dirt road and on construction sites. In 2wd, on a straight line, if I stomp on the gas, because there is so much power, both rear wheels break loose leaving very deep ruts and the ABLS light never comes on. If you are positioned to make right hand turn (in 2wd), the right rear wheel spins like hell and the ABLS kicks in and the right still turns faster but the rear left will start to break loose (finally getting some of the power) and it has pulled through. Just last night, I was playing around in 2wd until I stopped, I tried to resume, and the right started to break loose, then the ABLS kicked in, and they both dug holes (not moving) turn the dial to 4wd(hi) and she pulled right out. I think the ABLS works great, and has engaged when it is needed... :haveredfl

·
Registered
497 Posts
sweet another hole digger lol!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
titanized, wow, great post, one of the best replies I have yet to read regarding this whole ABLS, VDC issue.

So, if I read that and understood it, you can spin BOTH back tires in a straight line. Cool. If I get VDC I can remember to turn it off.

Although I may not be a hole digger, I do have a pention for throwing snow.
:upsidedow

·
Registered
740 Posts
Now that we have established how the bals works on the back wheels, can anybody confirm how it works on the fronts in a 4wd?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
keane said:
Now that we have established how the bals works on the back wheels, can anybody confirm how it works on the fronts in a 4wd?
Exactly the same as in the rear.

If the truck is in 4x4 mode, half of the power made is distributed to the front differential (still an open diff) via the transfer case. If one front wheel begins to slip, ABLS will brake that wheel to distribute torque to the other wheel.

With enough power (or in a very limited traction situation), with VDC off, the truck should be able to spin all 4 wheels.

With the e-locker engaged, ABLS becomes non-functional for the rear axle (there can not be any difference in rotation between rear right and rear left wheels anyway). ABLS will still function for the front wheels in 4x4 w/e-locker engaged.

·
Registered
109 Posts
conflict

Austin said:
Exactly the same as in the rear.

If the truck is in 4x4 mode, half of the power made is distributed to the front differential (still an open diff) via the transfer case. If one front wheel begins to slip, ABLS will brake that wheel to distribute torque to the other wheel.

With enough power (or in a very limited traction situation), with VDC off, the truck should be able to spin all 4 wheels.

With the e-locker engaged, ABLS becomes non-functional for the rear axle (there can not be any difference in rotation between rear right and rear left wheels anyway). ABLS will still function for the front wheels in 4x4 w/e-locker engaged.
BigHawaii wrote this in this thread: "ive done it myself many times on minor trails, abls isnt "powerful" enough to stop your engine if you really juice it. when on minor trails ive found out that you have to feed it a bit and the abls will wither kick in or after a certain point wont do a thing, 1 wheel may spin or both." ...which reads to me that if it is working it only works in 'mild' conditions. Either Im missing something or these are conflicting accounts...?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quad T said:
titanized, wow, great post, one of the best replies I have yet to read regarding this whole ABLS, VDC issue.

So, if I read that and understood it, you can spin BOTH back tires in a straight line. Cool. If I get VDC I can remember to turn it off.

Although I may not be a hole digger, I do have a pention for throwing snow.
:upsidedow
No problem :cheers: ...this forum has a lot of great people with good experience/knowledge, and a lot of people with the same issues. It has answered a lot of my questions...even before I had to ask some of them. I wish I had a digital camera or digital recorder, I could show you some of my "work"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts