Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need to replace my rear brake pads. I took the caliper off and got the old brake pads off, but now I need to compress the piston, and it goes in a little bit but it won't go in all the way. I've been using a C-clamp but it won't budge. I read something about some pistons need to be turned as they are compressed. Not sure if mine does though. Could someone please help??

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
on my honda accord they were like this. i used some needle nose pliers and put them in the notch on the face of the piston and turned it. I would like to know as well, since i will be changing my brakes pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If they have a notch or notches, they need to be 'screwed in'. I can't remember if the Titan rear was like that or not. Needle nose works, but it is a real biotch, the tool is about $4 at advanced auto, looks like a cube with different nubs on each side.

If no notches, be a man, jeez...

Make sure your clamp is square to the face of the piston. Take the cap off the master cyl so the fluid can get out if it needs to. The bleeder will also work, just be careful not to let air in to the system.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Maybe open the bleed screw.
We have a winner!....Caliper pistons "turned" to re-seat are ones that serve double duty as park brake systems, the Titans do not use that method.

You should be able to crack open the bleeders and then slowly push the pistons back in, but you need to make sure that they are no so far out that they may be ****ed slightly, that would also cause them not to go back in...

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I just put new brake pads on the rear three weeks ago and did not have any problems compressing the piston. Didn't crack the bleed screw or anything.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We have a winner!....Caliper pistons "turned" to re-seat are ones that serve double duty as park brake systems, the Titans do not use that method.
No, I had a Cavalier that had pistons that had to be 'screwed' back in (on the front, drums rear). I think it is for wear adjustment, though.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
No, I had a Cavalier that had pistons that had to be 'screwed' back in (on the front, drums rear). I think it is for wear adjustment, though.
I've NEVER seen pistons that need to be screwed back into position on the front of any car...And I've worked on Caviliers....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Pinoytitan and I just helped O-fivecc replace his brakes and we didn't have any issues. As already suggested, try turning the bleeder screw and removing the master cylinder cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You should be able to crack open the bleeders and then slowly push the pistons back in, but you need to make sure that they are no so far out that they may be ****ed slightly, that would also cause them not to go back in...
I've tried that, I opened the bleeders and the master cylinder cap and it still won't go back in, they're only sticking out about a 1/4 of an inch. Does that mean that they are ****ed??

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
The Titan has a drum in disc rear in which the drum serves as the p-brake. Compressing of the piston should not be necessary like the combo calipers mentioned. If the pads were really shot you may find that compressing is more difficult if the piston is near the end of the bore. Opening the bleeder will help lower the required pressure to push it but remember that you'll need to bleed the caliper after!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I've tried that, I opened the bleeders and the master cylinder cap and it still won't go back in, they're only sticking out about a 1/4 of an inch. Does that mean that they are ****ed??
Maybe that as far as they go....If the caliper fits over the rotor with the new pads and it isn't locking up the rotor, you're done...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts