Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new and this is my first post, however i have been reading posts on titan talk for 6 months. I have searched this forum for two hours today before i decided to register. My problem is I bought a used 09 Titan SE w/o big tow. I have since added a receiver hitch in order to have the ability to pull a trailer. I added a Prodigy P2 last week. When I hooked up to the trailer I needed to pull I do not have trailer brakes. The controller gives me the "n.c" for "no connection". I have power to the controller and also have all running, brake and turn lights on the trailer. I believe I have all relays since I have lights. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure on the 09 but my 05 i used all factory wiring. I had to buy relayes one for the lights an one for the facory trailer brake wiring. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the factory wiring and installed the three relays as well. I also used the plug and play harness for the Prodigy. I am gonna use a voltmeter after work to see whats going on the plug at the back of the truck...

·
Registered
720 Posts
You did not really give enough info ...

You are using a trailer wire connector with MORE then 4 wires. right?

If you have a 4 wire connector, that plug has NO connection for brakes.

If you have 5, 6 or 7 wire, the brake wire should be there (here is a link for the wiring breakdown)

If you are using an adapter that converts the trailer wiring to the truck plug, make sure you have ACTIVE connections on all wires on the trailer (usually the brakes are a BLUE wire) In order to check the brake voltage at the connector, you will probably need another pair of hands, since there is NO voltage unless the brakes are applied. The best way to do this test is with the manual brake switch on the controller.

I have seen some converters that only have ACTIVE connections for the lights

Make sure you have all the relays needed for the towing system. The Titan harness should provide all the wire hookups needed for the Prodigy controller, provided you have the needed wiring at the hitch.

Also, have you made sure that the trailer you are connecting HAS electric brakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the seven wire flat style plug directly from the trailer to the truck with no adapters used. The trailer is a 16ft enclosed motorcycle trailer that does have working trailer brakes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Seven wire flat connector? Never heard of those before.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay, you have the flat PIN style connector. Make sure you don't have the brake cold and brake hot wires reversed at the controller connection if you soldered the harness at the controller together yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the saga continues. I have checked all fuses and have a relay everywhere there is supposed to be one. Using the voltmeter I only get power to the left and right turn/brake lights. I also have power to the running lights. I still get no trailer brake power and also have no 12v keyed source at the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
869 Posts
How is the controller connected to the vehicle, did you use a prefab harness or did you solder it together yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a a prefab plug and play. I can now say its fixed and working. The problem was in the wiring of the plug. When I bought the hitch and had it installed the installer never connected the blue or black wires on the plug just the wiring for the lights was connected. Everything was taped up together. When I traced all the wires and cut the tape off i noticed this I noticed this. The whole problem was two unhooked wires. It goes back to the old saying, "if you want something done right do it yourself". To those that replied thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts