Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual shows a plug in the wiring harness for a brake controller to be plugged directly in. The accessory shop and Nissan dealer I called both said there isn't currently a controller available for the Titan.

Has anyone installed a trailer brake controller? I'm wondering if the plug might be the same as one for a ford/chevy/dodge or toyota? I can't imagine they make a different controller or plug for every make of vehicle.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
The owners manual shows a plug in the wiring harness for a brake controller to be plugged directly in. The accessory shop and Nissan dealer I called both said there isn't currently a controller available for the Titan.

Has anyone installed a trailer brake controller? I'm wondering if the plug might be the same as one for a ford/chevy/dodge or toyota? I can't imagine they make a different controller or plug for every make of vehicle.
I have an LE CC with the Big Tow package and there is what appears to be a socket for a brake controller on the lower right edge of the dash, near the driver's right knee. I haven't researched what brake controller (if any) might plug into this socket.

·
Registered
294 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:

BigSkyLLC, you can use any aftermarket brake controller but I would recommend the Prodigy controller. If you have the towing package your truck is prewired for a brake controller with a separate harness that is provided (usually sitting in the glove box or the center console) to connect directly to the controller and to the prewired plug under the dash. The bare wire side of the harness connects to the controller and the male connector plugs into the female brake controller connector under the dash. Depending on which revision of the manual you have you may or may not have instructions in your manual. Here is a link to the manual that does provide instructions if you don't have it:

Titan Manual

Karl

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you refering to the picture LTI0117 on page 9-27?

If so I got one of them in my truck when it was delivered (I have a SE KC 4X4 w/ Big Tow).

I am not a tow expert (yet) but the salesman said it allowed me to hook up a trailer with electric brakes if I needed to. I thought it connected under the rear bumper somewhere until I read the manual. I think it's just an easy way to hook up an outside controller without cutting or splicing the harness.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
When you buy your Prodigy, (rvwholesalers.com $99 dollars) it comes with a pigtail. Take the Nissan Pigtail and the Prodigy Pigtail and make a harness. Four wires and even my Six year old could do it and you got trailer brakes. Do a Search under my name and you will even find pictures of the connector under the dash. For all you people who don't like lyng on your back under a dash, two screws and the lower dash is removed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
bestatchess said:
I have an LE CC with the Big Tow package and there is what appears to be a socket for a brake controller on the lower right edge of the dash, near the driver's right knee. I haven't researched what brake controller (if any) might plug into this socket.
The socket you are referring to is the connection for diagnostic computer. You should not attempt to connect anything here. Refer to Derwud's note about wiring connector location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts