Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to mount my brake controller near my right knee. What I'm not sure about is if it's better to mount it to the dash plastic or to the metal underneath.

My concern about using the metal is the controller may be too far to reach while driving. At the same time, I'm not really excited about drilling holes into the lower dash.

From the various pictures I've seen of installs I can't tell if most people are attaching to the dash or to the metal brackets.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
gksmith said:
I'm probably going to mount my brake controller near my right knee. What I'm not sure about is if it's better to mount it to the dash plastic or to the metal underneath.

My concern about using the metal is the controller may be too far to reach while driving. At the same time, I'm not really excited about drilling holes into the lower dash.

From the various pictures I've seen of installs I can't tell if most people are attaching to the dash or to the metal brackets.
What about 3M tape

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Good question!

If I ever get around to installing one someday, I'm gonna have a tough time deciding because of my long legs getting in the way.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Here is where I put mine. Pretty easy to get to. Screwed it into the metal frame. I have seen them mounted to the plastic above where mine is too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
One thing to remember is the angle the brake controller is mounted at. Some have limits that may prevent mounting on the plastic part of the lower dash panel. In general, the more level it is the better.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I selected a location near the BCM plug. Now I just have to get the screws into the P3 tight enough so it doesn't wobble.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
One thing to remember is the angle the brake controller is mounted at. Some have limits that may prevent mounting on the plastic part of the lower dash panel. In general, the more level it is the better.
So I am new to the whole electronic brake controller and such. My truck is used and already has it mounted at the right knee area but was looking at getting creative with the mounting one day soon, like trying to put it upright onto the side of the center console area. My question being, why is it better for it to be mounted more level?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Older type brake controllers needed to be mounted level (for whatever reason) but the newer electronic brake controllers may be mounted in any position, even sideways. Some brake controllers will even state on the packaging that they can be mounted in any position (mine did).

·
Registered
385 Posts
BrianCMM said:
Older type brake controllers needed to be mounted level (for whatever reason) but the newer electronic brake controllers may be mounted in any position, even sideways. Some brake controllers will even state on the packaging that they can be mounted in any position (mine did).
The older brake controllers used an electro-mechanical device to detect decelleration. If they were mounted too far from horizontal, the either didn't work very well or not at all. Even some of the newer electronic ones still have limits. I know that my Prodigy can't be tilted more that 70 deg from horizontal. I would try to find the manufacturer and model of brake controller you have and go to the their website and see if they have installation instructions available.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only limitation on the P3 is it has to be in the direction of travel. I didn't find anything about angles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.