Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where are you all mounting your brake controllers?

I know...bottom of the dash. Just looking for a creative/alternate location (trying to think outside the box).

I have a prodigy controller and I'm kinda jealous of my dad because his is built into his dash of his new ram.

Pictures of yours would be great!!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Ya, good guess. My last two titans/prodigy controller I mounted directly under the steering column. I searched and searched for locations also. I am not exactly happy with the location, but with the configuration we are limited. It certainly would be nice to have a OEM integrated controller like the big three. Nissan are you listening?? lol.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
The Prodigy is a pretty smart controller and will function regardless of horizontal/vertical location issues.
I'm pretty sure I read that when I installed mine five years ago.
In that respect, you have some more options.
I put mine in the standart spot, under the dash, just left of the OBDII plug.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys...

If I come up with any kind of alternate I'll be sure to share. I personally don't like them hanging off the dash, have had them there before and my long legs always bump into it. I am wondering if I could do a cutout in the dash with it sticking out just enough for use. hmmmm

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Where are you all mounting your brake controllers?

I know...bottom of the dash. Just looking for a creative/alternate location (trying to think outside the box).

I have a prodigy controller and I'm kinda jealous of my dad because his is built into his dash of his new ram.

Pictures of yours would be great!!

I have mine in the usual place because it's outta the way. I have it low on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Your dads may be built in but...it's not a Prodigy and he can't change his like you can.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i hate the look of a brake controller hanging under the dash so i mounted it against the inside wall of my center console

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the input guys...

If I come up with any kind of alternate I'll be sure to share. I personally don't like them hanging off the dash, have had them there before and my long legs always bump into it. I am wondering if I could do a cutout in the dash with it sticking out just enough for use. hmmmm
I'm with you on this. I just installed mine on the weekend and wish there was a better way. I did for a few minutes consider cutting a notch out of the panel under the steering wheel and mount it there but don't want to make the cut.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
IIRC, the Prodigy is only supposed to be mounted up to a max of 70° from the horizontal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I placed mine on the dash, by using velcroe on the dash and on the bottom of the holder. Its a prodigy as well, great controller.
It sits on the left side just beyond the little nick nack pocket. I tucked the coard inbetwen the panels and left enough sitcking out the top.

I can see and adjust it with ease while watching the road.

If I do not use it you see some patches on the dash and a small piece of coard sticking out.

The windshield mounted Bullydog hides most of the patch on the dash when not in use :eyebrow:

·
Registered
60 Posts
On my '05, I mounted the Prodigy on top of the dash on the left side in the little shelf that is there. I had to put a spacer under the front of it to make the controller a little little less flat. Using flat ribbon wire, I ran it behind the kick panel and out between the dash and the side piece. I have been using this set up for 4 years now and like it. Easy to see and reach the lever and buttons.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
mines mounted right below the 3 switches (or blanks) near your left knee. Never gets in the way, and I put the bracket on the angled part right under the switches so its not so vertical. Ive never once bumped my knee on it or anything. excellent controller by the way love mine

·
Registered
369 Posts
mines mounted right below the 3 switches (or blanks) near your left knee. Never gets in the way, and I put the bracket on the angled part right under the switches so its not so vertical. Ive never once bumped my knee on it or anything. excellent controller by the way love mine
Would it fit there. if you did a little trimming? If they are blanks, not switches.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
You can't really flush mount a prodigy. It has controls on the top if it that you need access to, most notably the "emergency" lever. But the gain and preload are also up there.

·
Premium Member
58,745 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got my Prodigy controller on the bottom, just left of the hood release. I do bump it once it a while, but it's mostly out of the way and I can see the read out easily.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ended up mounting under the dash nothing fancy.

What do you all doo about the power to the controller? Add a switch or disconnect the controller evey time you stop driving?

I hooked it uP and was surprised that the power is unswitched (stays on even when ign. is off)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ended up mounting under the dash nothing fancy.

What do you all doo about the power to the controller? Add a switch or disconnect the controller evey time you stop driving?

I hooked it uP and was surprised that the power is unswitched (stays on even when ign. is off)
Mine does not have any power unless the trailer is hooked up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have tube step in the receiver that is plugged in to the trailer plug. I'll have to test it "unplugged".

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Would it fit there. if you did a little trimming? If they are blanks, not switches.
no its mounted right below em, ill try and snap a pic today and throw it up here

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine does not have any power unless the trailer is hooked up.
Checked it this morning and even with the brake light (that's built into the step) unplugged I still have constant power with the ignition off and keys out.

I found in the prodigy instructions a line that states it will go into a power save mode after 15 minutes. But I dont trust that. Guess I'll add a rocker switch to the power line.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts