Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need more info about my truck, and don't really have time to search the threads...

I'll primarily be towing a US Cargo 2 axle enclosed trailer. 2 5/16" ball.

#1. I'll need a brake controller. What is a good one?

#2. The truck has a 4 pin wiring plug and the trailer has a 7 pin (round) plug. If I get a 4-->7 adapter, will the brakes work on the trailer or will a separate harness need to be run to the back of the truck for trailer lights and brakes?

#3. Does my Titan have the controller plug under the dash as mentioned in other threads? It's an '04 Titan.

#3. I've got a buyer's 3 ball adjustable hitch. The darn thing sticks out SO far that the safety chains on the trailer barely connect. (There wouldn't be any slack in the chains if I hooked them up). Is it a bad idea to take 2 tow rated carabiners (tow clips) and put them on the hitch on the truck to give the trailer safety chains more slack? Kind of like this ---> 00 Clip 1 to each side of the hitch in the safety chain holes, then clip a 2nd one in each of those to give the chains a bit of slack... Or, is it a better idea to put longer safety chains on the trailer?

I'll be towing this weekend and need to get this done quickly and SAFELY.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Take the truck to your local RV shop and pay a bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any of the Tekonsha controllers are good.
These are wiring and controller instructions for the Tekonsha Prodigy... their most popular controller ~ $100.
If your truck came with the big tow package there should be a cable in your glove box or console.

Any RV dealer or U-Haul towing center will be able to set you up in less than a day with all the correct cable adapters and safety chains.

I would never consider towing anything heavy without a Weight Distrubution (WD) hitch and sway control system.

Boomer

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not 100% certain whether the truck has the tox package or not. Some people on this board are saying 2004's DIDN'T come with tow packages... unless the 2004's that did aren't the XE's...

Regardless, I need the controller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
scorpion12 said:
I'm not 100% certain whether the truck has the tox package or not. Some people on this board are saying 2004's DIDN'T come with tow packages... unless the 2004's that did aren't the XE's...

Our 2004 Off Road, Crew Cab SE came with the big tow package, off road package and the utility bed package.

Boomer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58,392 Posts
scorpion12 said:

Look at your mirrors if they are the big ones you have the tow package. If thery are the small ones you don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll try to answer your questions duppa43. If you don't already have a receiver hitch, buy the Nissan OEM. It comes with the relays you will need for the lights and brakes.

I have an 04 SE non big tow and I had the 7 pin harness behind my rear bumper. All I did was plug it into the OEM hitch.

I also had the brake controller wiring under the dash just to the left of the steering column. I did have to buy the adapter cable that mates the Nissan plug to the Tekonsha unit.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Larry

·
Registered
662 Posts
Like Boomer Mikey said get the Weight Distribution Hitch. If the trailer is big enough to have a 2 5/16 ball you will need this hitch. I have the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller in my truck and it works good. The clips should work, but I would just buy new chains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, we went and had the Prdigy installed. All's well. The hitch is going to be modified to add 2 chain links on the side. They'll weld 2 lnks onto the hitch itself and it'll be good.

The prodigy is really nice. And it was nice that the truck had the 4 pin and 7 pin harnesses run already.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I too vote Tekonsha Prodigy for the brake controller. My Titan came with Big Tow and I ordered the prodigy with the optional Nissan pigtail. The whole unit just pluged together, as someone who does not know squat about electrical stuff this was the perfect solution.

I'm very happy with the Prodigy, and I bought it just because so many of the people here said it was the one to get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts