Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be adding my Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller to my Titan equipped with the tow package. Has anyone else added a controller yet? I am trying to decide where to mount it (I have captain seating). I cannot mount it at more than a 70 degree angle, per instruction. Any ideas, or experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Here is where I put our Prodigy controller. I doesn't get in my way and I can see the controller readings and apply the trailer brakes just fine.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Have you found the connector under the dash yet? I mounted in front of the parking brake. Or you can mout it in front of the gas pedal, there is a steel beam running across the lower dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Picture of Prodigy

karlconnell said:
Here is where I put our Prodigy controller. I doesn't get in my way and I can see the controller readings and apply the trailer brakes just fine.
In your picture, I can see that the trimming around the radio area is a little uneven - I mean you can see it doesn't stick out at the bottom but up by the top there is a gap. Can you press on on the plate??

In a Titan I tested, it looked like yours , only it stuck out a little more, and I could push it in flush. The dealer and I thought it had to be fixed.

Just curious if this is the design or a flaw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
joeandmaria said:
I will soon be adding my Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller to my Titan equipped with the tow package. Has anyone else added a controller yet? I am trying to decide where to mount it (I have captain seating). I cannot mount it at more than a 70 degree angle, per instruction. Any ideas, or experience?
Did you find a good deal on your Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Brake controller

karlconnell said:
Here is where I put our Prodigy controller. I doesn't get in my way and I can see the controller readings and apply the trailer brakes just fine.

Did you pick up a connector made for the Titan or did you just wire it in to the connection that is supposed to be provided at the dash by Nissan? Did you wire it in yourself or have it installed? If you did it, was it a big job? Did the wire color codes match up?

Norm
Titan LE 4X4
Smoke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skipete said:
Did you find a good deal on your Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller?
I got mine from my camper dealer when I purchased our popup camper. I jsut purchased a second generic wiring harnes and pocket mount, so I will be able to transfer between vehicles if needed. I have seen good pricing on the internet though. Just do a search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
campsmoke said:
Did you pick up a connector made for the Titan or did you just wire it in to the connection that is supposed to be provided at the dash by Nissan? Did you wire it in yourself or have it installed? If you did it, was it a big job? Did the wire color codes match up?

I had Quality Bumper in Phx install my controller using the wiring harness connector provided by Nissan. They only charged me $20, and it only took about 10 minutes to install (they were really impressed). If you are not use to wiring controller's I would recommend having someone that does this for a living perform the install as you can burn up the computer in the Prodigy if you're not careful. RV Wholesaler's is the least expensive place I have found for towing equipment and accessories.

Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
keane said:
In your picture, I can see that the trimming around the radio area is a little uneven - I mean you can see it doesn't stick out at the bottom but up by the top there is a gap. Can you press on on the plate??

In a Titan I tested, it looked like yours , only it stuck out a little more, and I could push it in flush. The dealer and I thought it had to be fixed.

Just curious if this is the design or a flaw.

And I thought I was picky...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Karl

karlconnell said:
And I thought I was picky...
It doesn't look bad. It actually looked like it was designed that way. I just happened to be reaching for the volume while I was driving and pushed against the plate. It pushed right in and clicked as it hit the back. That is why I noticed it. You could tap it with your finger and the middle part would go flush and click like it just wasn't fastened. That is why I asked if yours did that too. I wanted to know if it was supposed to be designed that way or it was suppose to be flat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
keane said:
It doesn't look bad. It actually looked like it was designed that way. I just happened to be reaching for the volume while I was driving and pushed against the plate. It pushed right in and clicked as it hit the back. That is why I noticed it. You could tap it with your finger and the middle part would go flush and click like it just wasn't fastened. That is why I asked if yours did that too. I wanted to know if it was supposed to be designed that way or it was suppose to be flat.
I'm not sure keane but I'll have to give it a try a see.

Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Brake controller

karlconnell said:
I had Quality Bumper in Phx install my controller using the wiring harness connector provided by Nissan. They only charged me $20, and it only took about 10 minutes to install (they were really impressed). If you are not use to wiring controller's I would recommend having someone that does this for a living perform the install as you can burn up the computer in the Prodigy if you're not careful. RV Wholesaler's is the least expensive place I have found for towing equipment and accessories.

Karl

Thanks Karl that is what I needed to know!!!!!

Norm :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have a Prodigy Brake controller with the generic harness. The Tekonsha harness has four wires on it, but the Titan has a seven wire plug to tap into. Which wires on the Nissan harness go to the brake controller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I took it to a hitch place and had them connect the wires together. ($10) He left two wires out, but I can't remember which ones. I mounted it myself, and plugged it in. Works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I did not use the quick disconnect cradle supplied with mine as I only have the one truck to use it in. As you can see in the picture, I simply mounted it to the right of the steering wheel, up high enough so that I would not damage my shin.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Anybody know which 4 out the 7 Nissan wires are used for the brake controller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I just went out and pulled the wires down. The only one I can see left out is the Red/Blue colored one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Flyin2low said:
Anybody know which 4 out the 7 Nissan wires are used for the brake controller?
Search the site...your answer is here. I found it but I can't remember so just search and you will find the colour answer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Call Tekonsha

I called Tekonsha, the folks that manufacture the brake controller. They'll tell you which wires go where. The instructions w/my brake controller were for Chevy, GMC, Ford, etc. Nothing for the Titan of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
karlconnel
Doe your control get in the way of the computer plug in for diagnostics? Hard to see in this pic, but I had to move mine more to the left, just to the right of the steering column.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top