Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed that my wheels are real dirty in between the spokes. Is that the brake dust everyone talks about? If so, how do I clean it without damaging the chrome on the wheels?

How do we prevent this from happening? Do we need to replace the brake pads and if so, with what kind?

Sorry for the bad picture - it is real rainy outside.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yep, that's brake dust. Just clean it like you would any other part of the truck. As long as you don't allow it to cake on there for months, you can use soap and water to get it off. Otherwise there are aluminum wheel cleaner solutions out there.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Make sure any wheel cleaner you use is safe for clear coated aluminum wheels. Some will 'haze' your wheels.

Also, the brake pads that are standard on the Titan are 'soft'.
To have less dust, when its time to change them, go with a harder compound pad. The result/trade-off is that it will increase rotor wear.

There is a balance there.

Chris

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am thinking of ordering a set of Kleen Wheels, They are made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The wheel protectors are installed inside of your rims, they simply snap in. They claim to have a unique design with biult in Turbo-vents to enhance brake cooling. They sell for about 38.95 a pr. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I noticed that the fronts have much more than the rears and I think it's consistent with what I read: It uses more brake force in the front until it detects a load. From what I rememeber, it's designed this way to avoid typical rear wheels lockup that happens to trucks. Actually I think the article mentioned all truck brakes are designed this way. Can someone confirm?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I called Kleen Wheels and they don't have anything for the Titan yet. Their cost is $52.95 a pair retail. They said to call back in 30 days and they might know more then.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Deepwater said:
I am thinking of ordering a set of Kleen Wheels, They are made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The wheel protectors are installed inside of your rims, they simply snap in. They claim to have a unique design with biult in Turbo-vents to enhance brake cooling. They sell for about 38.95 a pr. :)
Me too, but I received a response yesterday indicating that they are not yet available for any rim patterns on the Titan.

Karl

·
Registered
190 Posts
I usually have 'people' wash my cars. Last week I decided to wash the Titan. The dust has stained my driveway. I have a pigmented driveway so it is a bummer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
amati5 said:
I noticed that the fronts have much more than the rears and I think it's consistent with what I read: It uses more brake force in the front until it detects a load. From what I rememeber, it's designed this way to avoid typical rear wheels lockup that happens to trucks. Actually I think the article mentioned all truck brakes are designed this way. Can someone confirm?
The fronts is where most of the braking power come from on any car. Fronts usually have larger rotors and calipers and more dust and wear sooner. Changing brake pads may increase performance and decrease brake dust but choosing wrong pads may be dangerous. Some performance pads are required to reach a certain temp before the reach there optimal performance.
I have heard that if you dont clean your wheels regularly the dust will stain and damage the look of your wheel.

·
Registered
823 Posts
hey guys, the dust will go way down once you get a few thousand miles on it. I just drove mine to Maine from Georgia a few days ago so I'm up to 5400 miles already and the dust is minimal. Actually it dropped way off around the 3k mile mark so hang in there......Just give it some time for the pads to seat in and I think you'll be happy with what little dust accumulates.

Also I used to run the Kleen wheels on my Mercedes E320. They do keep the wheels clean but I never liked the way they looked behind the wheels. I never had any overheating problems with the brakes, fade, etc. but when you pull the wheels off to rotate them watch out. All that dust packs into the back of the rim and pretty much all over the place. A huge mess when you take the hose to it so just some heads up if you all are serious about the Kleen wheels road...Try to wait though and hopefully your dust will drastically decrease like it did on mine.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
JetForeman said:
hey guys, the dust will go way down once you get a few thousand miles on it. I just drove mine to Maine from Georgia a few days ago so I'm up to 5400 miles already and the dust is minimal. Actually it dropped way off around the 3k mile mark so hang in there......Just give it some time for the pads to seat in and I think you'll be happy with what little dust accumulates.

Also I used to run the Kleen wheels on my Mercedes E320. They do keep the wheels clean but I never liked the way they looked behind the wheels. I never had any overheating problems with the brakes, fade, etc. but when you pull the wheels off to rotate them watch out. All that dust packs into the back of the rim and pretty much all over the place. A huge mess when you take the hose to it so just some heads up if you all are serious about the Kleen wheels road...Try to wait though and hopefully your dust will drastically decrease like it did on mine.
Thanks for the info Jet. I'll wait and see what happens. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Deepwater said:
One more thing, they are the cheapest (flimsiest <- is that a word) piece of metal you can find. They will bend out of shape if you breathe on them wrong so don't get your hopes up about them being top notch aircraft quality aluminum. I thought it was a joke when I first received them for the benz I had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts