Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some dude said on an earlier post that after you put a few thousand miles on your Titan you will not see near the amount of brake dust on your rims as when it was brand new. I used to have to wash my rims two times between regular washes; now I don't have to do that. Kudos to the guy that posted this. I bringing this up to help out new Titan owners.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Some dude said on an earlier post that after you put a few thousand miles on your Titan you will not see near the amount of brake dust on your rims as when it was brand new. I used to have to wash my rims two times between regular washes; now I don't have to do that. Kudos to the guy that posted this. I bringing this up to help out new Titan owners.
Would I be the dude your referring to? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you think the Titan has brake dust problems...just take a look at a 03 Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigators. It's absolutely a freakin joke how much the front wheels look like total total crap. I have to use wheel cleaner once a week to pry the junk off the front wheels. Take a look next time you see one of those vehicles.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetForeman said:
Would I be the dude your referring to? :)
Yes, thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
the major reason you see an excess of brake dust on the front wheels of some vehicles is those people have never heard of 1) rotating tires and/or 2) actually hand washing the wheels instead of using those damn automatic car washes. i dont know why people dont hand wash their vehicles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
goathead said:
the major reason you see an excess of brake dust on the front wheels of some vehicles is those people have never heard of 1) rotating tires and/or 2) actually hand washing the wheels instead of using those damn automatic car washes. i dont know why people dont hand wash their vehicles.

My car-wash place hand cleans the wheels if they have anything left on them after the wash cycle. But, then again , that's probably why I pay $21 per wash there. I use them over the winter, they've been in business forever and I'm always amazed at how good their equipment is and hoow good the guys go over the vehicle in the drying process.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Thats good news, cause I have to throw away the sponge or rag I use almost every other time I wash the rims.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
RedMunsta said:
My car-wash place hand cleans the wheels if they have anything left on them after the wash cycle. But, then again , that's probably why I pay $21 per wash there. I use them over the winter, they've been in business forever and I'm always amazed at how good their equipment is and hoow good the guys go over the vehicle in the drying process.
we have one of those "full service" car washes where i live and the problem is they may hand dry but they dont hand wash and the jet spray does not get the road film off, ever. and if you hand dry w/o hand washing then all your doing is rubbing the dirt into the paint.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The first time I washed them with my wash mit.. now I've tossed that into the "use on the ATVs only" pile.

The second time I used my pressure washer... it took off the dust really easy. No scrubbing. :)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
well if its only "dusty" then use a California Car Duster b/c i started using one after i went to a vintage car show and saw guys using them on $500k shelby cobras. i figure if theyre using them then there is no reason not too. but if your vechicle hasnt been washed in 1-2 weeks then it has road film. period. ive detailed cars before and it really is amazing how dirty a vehicle is compared to how dirty it looks. just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
goathead said:
we have one of those "full service" car washes where i live and the problem is they may hand dry but they dont hand wash and the jet spray does not get the road film off, ever. and if you hand dry w/o hand washing then all your doing is rubbing the dirt into the paint.
Yes, the jet wash is however useful as a preliminary step to hand washing so you are washing instead of wet sanding. I use a pressure washer with car wash soap as step 1, and hand wash as step 2.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
thats not a bad idea...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
For what it is worth...

I have 4 vehicles I have to keep clean, and the 2 cars make mountains of brake dust. The reason for this is most aggressive pad materials do dust a lot, that is part of the characteristic of a performance pad.

Every spring I go to the fabric store and buy one or two yards of pure white polar fleece. I cut it into 12" squares and use them to wash my vehicles. I run them through the washer and drier after each car washing. As they start to get dingy they get used for really dirty tasks like wheels. Because the fabric is so darn cheap I have no hesitation throwing these pieces away after doing a wheel or two.

The polar fleece will not work to absorb water, but it is just about perfect for washing, it holds a lot of soapy water, and because they are white you can see how clean or dirty they are. After 2 years of ownership I have virtually no scratches and absolutely no swirl marks in my S.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
thats a great idea. thanks for the tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts