Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing seeing an awesome writeup on here I decided to tackle my brake job instead of taking it in since they wanted over $200 just to install them. Well, right away I ran into a big problem. The two 21mm torque bolts were extremely difficult to get out. A friend and I literally took 4 hours trying to figure out how to remove these. They would back out a half inch at a time and when they would, they would pop and creak real loud. We finally got them out after hours of trying. We were using a breaker bar with an extra pipe on the end for extra leverage. The bolts had some sort of gray compound on them after we finally got them out. The last time my brakes were worked on was about 2 years ago when I took it to the dealership to do some break work and turning of my front rotors. I just worry now that I may need to do something to the bracket where the bolts go in? I'm obviously going to replace the bolts, but should they go in the brackets okay? Do most Nissan dealerships have these bolts in stock? I'm not sure what the Nissan place did to these bolts, but they were way to hard to get out. I was expecting them to snap at any second. One of the bolts will go back in fine, but the other one won't.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
what is the 21mm bolt...the caliper bolts? if so, i would assume it was something similar to lock tight which isnt necessary to put back on. usually the heat from the calipers will keep it from working out. i have seen one work out before though and it gouged the rotor up pretty bad (f150). it is also possible that the dealer re threaded the bolts by accident as well and didnt feel like messing with it...would explain the one not going back in. have you looked at the threads? does the good bolt go into both with ease?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the bolts that hold on the brake pad bracket.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok my bad. I guess I was getting them confused.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ok my bad. I guess I was getting them confused.
so ya....just take a look at the threads and make sure they are good. the lock tight thing is all up to you. put some on if you want...cheap insurance i guess. will be a PITA to get off next time though. i never personally have on any vehicle....and havent had any issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So does anyone know where to buy a replacement bolt besides Nissan? Got one funked up and truck is in pieces in the garage/driveway.. Nissan can get me a bolt.. on Wednesday! That's a long time to wait for one bolt. Anyone know what I can use that I can get at a hardware store or autoparts store to get me by until then? Thanks in advance, RS

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
So does anyone know where to buy a replacement bolt besides Nissan? Got one funked up and truck is in pieces in the garage/driveway.. Nissan can get me a bolt.. on Wednesday! That's a long time to wait for one bolt. Anyone know what I can use that I can get at a hardware store or autoparts store to get me by until then? Thanks in advance, RS
Just googling a bit, it looks like Chevy 2500HD and Ford F250 also use 21mm caliper bracket bolts. You might measure the Nissan bolt and call some local auto parts stores and see if they match up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks bestatchess.. going back down to auto parts store then over to Ace Hardware.. went ahead and ordered two new ones from Nissan dealership here, but they won't be here til Wednesday so if I can't find anything maybe I'll just zip tie and JB Weld the thing together, with some duct tape to hold it all together of course:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm thinking you went a little overkill. The bolts you took out were the caliper mount bracket bolts - the whole mounting bracket! You shouldn't need to take those out with the stock brakes. I did once upon a time, but that's cause I swapped the whole brake setup from the stock POS to the Stillen Big Brake kit. And yes, those 21mm bolts were coated in locktite and a major PITA to get out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh... a 2002 2500HD, or Avalanche 4x4 share the same calipers/pads as my Stillen Big Brake kit. No clue on the mounting bracket thought -I thought that and the rotor are Stillen exclusive things.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I'm thinking you went a little overkill. The bolts you took out were the caliper mount bracket bolts - the whole mounting bracket! You shouldn't need to take those out with the stock brakes.
You have to take out the 21mm bolts to get the front rotors off.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Oh... a 2002 2500HD, or Avalanche 4x4 share the same calipers/pads as my Stillen Big Brake kit. No clue on the mounting bracket thought -I thought that and the rotor are Stillen exclusive things.
I'm hoping he comes back and says the 2500HD bolts are identical and cost 75 cents each.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, no one (Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly) had any mounting bolts specifically for an HD2500 or F250 so I ended up at ACE Hardware. Walked in the door and they were dead, guy who greeted me at the door took one look at the bracket, we walked to the isle and he opened the bin and first bolt he picked up matched the threads. I didn't bring the original bolt so I couldn't remember exactly how long it was, so I ended up purchasing 3 different lengths to make sure I have the right one. These bolts cost between 4 and 5 bucks each, grade 9 hardware IIRC. I'll be replacing with the correct bolt from Nissan when I get it, but this will get the beast back on the road for now.. 204,000 miles and counting!

Oh, and lest I forget, thanks for the suggestions.. nice group of guys here, much appreciate it yall

1 - 18 of 18 Posts