Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Titan , when I sit at a traffic lite the brake pedal will go down to the floor. This is the second time this happened, I took it to the dealer the first time and they replaced the brake power booster. It was fine for about a week and it happened again . I am taking it back to the dealer next week, but I was wondering if anybody has had this problem. The dealer said this was rare. Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mine feels kinda soft at a light, but it does not roll. If I apply additional pressure, it will go on down, but I think mine is normal due to ABS. Don't know about your's though. Good luck with it and post back results as I have an 04 also and it would be good to know.

·
Super Moderator
160,986 Posts
If it's going to the floor slowly while at a light, it's more than likely not your power booster, but the master cylinder itself. And having ABS shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Carbeaux said:
If it's going to the floor slowly while at a light, it's more than likely not your power booster, but the master cylinder itself. And having ABS shouldn't make any difference.
Exactly what he said.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
After 3-4 years, not a bad idea to have system flushed completely, after the real problem is fixed. Moisture and dirt will buil up a little bit, even with modern fluids. Ideas above, very likely.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I agree with the master cylinder theory.

Clint

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the brake booster has a leak in its diaphram it will actually suck the fluid past the master cylinder seals and start weeping between the two. And then it also pumps air into the system. I had a similar problem with my Maxima. Pedal to the floor. I changed all four rubber lines because I thought they were colapsing, bled the system and still the pedal went to the floor. I put a gallon of fluid through the system and kept getting air. So I went and bought a brand new, not rebuilt master cyl. Same thing it leaked. The only thing left was the booster. I changed the booster and the pedal was back to normal. Without even bleeding it yet. After I bled the system it was perfect.

·
Registered
321 Posts
my money is on the master cylinder. Had the EXACT same problem on my wifes old saturn. Brake pedal would bottom out at lights. Changed the cylinder.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe I was thinking of something different and worded it wrong. I've had 5 of the ABS vehicles now including my Titan, my wife's Altima, a Dodge Grand Caravan, and two company vehicles. They kinda all had the same brake pedal feel being different than "old lock up brake systems" such as the one my Mitsubishi Mighty Max had. By this I mean that all the pedals felt softer, and if I pressed harder, the abs would take over and just about dip them on their noses. My Mit definitely had a touchier pedal feel, locking them up accidentally from time to time. Maybe my newer brake experiences are more towards the normal and the Mit was way off on the touchy side.

It has always felt to me that the ABS systems did not really have a "bottom of the stroke/pedal" feel like conventional brakes. By that I mean if you go past the pressure of safe wheel speed braking(wheel lock up), the ABS takes over and you can put more pressure on the pedal if you want, even mash it to the floor, but the computer has taken over.

SORRY THIS IS SO LONG, but one more thing. When my ABS kicks in on my Titan, I can REALLY feel the pulses in the pedal, more than any other vehicle that I've owned. Is this just a Titan characteristic, or is this a sympton of some of the problems that you guys were talking about?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have an 04 and when I sit at a light it doesnt get softer or anything but when i pump it somtimes it goes to the floor and I let off all the way and it goes back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
160,986 Posts
Titan4mde said:
When my ABS kicks in on my Titan, I can REALLY feel the pulses in the pedal, more than any other vehicle that I've owned. Is this just a Titan characteristic, or is this a sympton of some of the problems that you guys were talking about?
Not at all a symptom of what these guys are talking about. I'll still stand by my guns and say they're describing a bad master cylinder. The pulses are normal for ABS. All I can think of is that you're feeling it more on the Titan because it's a much heavier vehicle than the others you describe. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Dom249 said:
I have an 04 and when I sit at a light it doesnt get softer or anything but when i pump it somtimes it goes to the floor and I let off all the way and it goes back to normal.
I agree with 249, I have the same thing with my 04 XE pump the pedal and it will go to the floor. If you apply very hard pressure it go's to the floor, release the pedal and it returns to normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts