Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I am new to the forum. I bought my 2008 Titan SE King Cab 4WD this past summer with 79,000 miles on it. The dealer did work on the brakes to get it to pass NY state inspection, but they have never been great. Within the last few weeks the brakes are getting worse. Mushy pedal, increased stopping distance and what feels like warped rotors. I have found a ton of posts to upgrade the brakes on 04-07 trucks to the 2008 model brakes. What I haven’t seen is any suggestions for the 08+ models. Does anybody have any input? What have you used that has worked to increase braking performance? I don’t mind spending the money on something good if it works. My truck is in really great condition for a 12+ year old truck in Central NY. I liked to keep from crashing it due to suspect brakes. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The 08-up brakes are pretty good when in good repair. In your position, I'd start with the basics. Check everything for tightness and wear. And do a full fluid change on the entire brake system. Once you verify everything is good, and you have new fluid, you can assess the next steps. Most likely course is new rotors and pads all around. Forum sponsor R1 Concepts has good equipment, as does Frozen Rotors and a number of other sources. I'm going to do my 2011 brakes with a full rotor/pad setup from R1 later this year, along with a fluid change, as soon as my current pads finally wear out.

My guess is you have warped rotors, thin pads, and plenty of moisture in your fluid, and these things are causing you to feel mushy pedal and poor braking. You could have a stuck caliper or some other issue, but most likely just age related wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. All good advice.
There is no doubt in my mind that I have warped rotors. I am planning on doing pads and rotors soon. I will also do the fluid replacement.

I appreciate your suggestions. I will look into the equipment options you mentioned. Just to be clear, have you actually used any of the products you listed?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Have not used yet. My homework says R1 is a good option at a reasonable price. That's what I'll be going with shortly. But no experience on a Titan with these yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts