Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the front brakes on my '04 4wd Titan I live in New England and frequently tow a 1500-2000 lb bass boat. I sometimes tow it over steep roads, and last week just as I got to the bottom of a long section of road, I could feel the brakes overheat and lose most stopping power, but I was able to coast for a while and let them cool off. I understand fluid is part of that equation as well and will be flushing out all the old stuff. I've never had anything other than OEM style, would slotted or drilled + slotted be beneficial to me? I've heard drilled + slotted may have durability issues with below 0 climates? IDK.. I was eyeing the Hawk Sector 27 package? EBC Stage 1? Stoptech? Powerstop? What would you guys recommend I go with? I'm trying to keep the investment reasonable, my truck is at 190K but still rolling strong (knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
It sounds like you need to use your lower gears when descending hills. That will save your brakes.

I've heard there may be issues with drilled rotors for those of us that tow. I most often tow my Polaris Ranger 900 (~1,400 lbs). I upgraded the axle on my trailer and added brakes at the same time. That means the trailer is braking along with the truck instead of pushing all the time. The axle upgrade wasn't that expensive.

I plan to put on Bosch rotors and pads.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It sounds like you need to use your lower gears when descending hills. That will save your brakes.

I've heard there may be issues with drilled rotors for those of us that tow. I most often tow my Polaris Ranger 900 (~1,400 lbs). I upgraded the axle on my trailer and added brakes at the same time. That means the trailer is braking along with the truck instead of pushing all the time. The axle upgrade wasn't that expensive.

I plan to put on Bosch rotors and pads.
I thought I saw on one of the threads you had frozen rotors? How were they?

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
I used Frozen Rotors on my wife's minivan. She was warping rotors at an astounding rate so I tried the Frozen Rotors. They lasted a bit longer but still warped. I wouldn't pay that premium price again.

·
Super Moderator
161,490 Posts
I had slotted EBC rotors on the front of mine for a while, along with EBC Yellow Stuff pads. The rotors weren't slotted the whole way through, just grooved. That combo was phenomenal at stopping. It would haul the truck and trailer down really quickly. I had no warping issued whatsover with that setup. The big downside was that they dusted very badly.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had slotted EBC rotors on the front of mine for a while, along with EBC Yellow Stuff pads. The rotors weren't slotted the whole way through, just grooved. That combo was phenomenal at stopping. It would haul the truck and trailer down really quickly. I had no warping issued whatsover with that setup. The big downside was that they dusted very badly.
I'm considering EBC when I have to do brakes. Can I ask what you transitioned to?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Frozen Rotors on my wife's minivan. She was warping rotors at an astounding rate so I tried the Frozen Rotors. They lasted a bit longer but still warped. I wouldn't pay that premium price again.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
161,490 Posts
OEM style replacements as I had recently been laid off when I had to replace them. I had to go with something less expensive. I'll likely go back to a slotted when I have to do the next brake job, but I don't know what brand I'll go with. I have no real complaints about the EBC rotors, but damn those pads dusted badly. By the time I replaced the front, not only were the pads shot, but I had worn the EBC slotted rotors almost smooth. Perhaps the Green Stuff pads wouldn't have been so bad. That's what I ordered for all 4 corners, but they shipped me Yellow Stuff for the front because the Green Stuff were backordered or something. The difference in what I'm running now and what that EBC combo were capable of is HUGE. They had some real bite to them, which I needed for towing (I pulled a ~6,500 lb TT) and for the fact that I'd put on LT E rated tires which were significantly heavier than the P rated tires.

Reactions: agnostic x

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I haven't towed anything really heavy yet, but have towed a few small trailers with my setup.

I have powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and pads and so far been happy with them. I can't give a long term review yet, but the pricing on them is reasonable compared to some other similar setups.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
FWIW, my 4 corner frozen rotor setup (upgrade to the '08 size) is the BEST mod on my Titan.

·
Premium Member
20,956 Posts
It's possible my wife is just really good at cooking rotors. :( The replacement Bosch rotors are working OK so far.

Reactions: chadp82

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
That's funny ^^^^

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've been using Brake Performance dimpled/slotted front rotors on my '08 KC LWB. After towing a 9K# enclosed trailer across the country, they've worked effectively over the past few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts