Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that have swapped out brakes/rotors, just wondering what you guys are dropping in and how satisfied you are. I'm at about 25,000 miles (10k on my own driving), not sure what life everyone else is getting and what my best value for money will be.....thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
At 25,000 miles I’d think you have a good long way to go, my last Frontier did 70,000 miles before it needed a change. Do you do many city miles?
I used Power Stop rotors and pads on it.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I just turned 100k on my 2011 Pro4X, and I'm still on the original rotors and pads all the way around. I even went as far as buying brake pads at 80k and went to change them, but had so much OEM pad left, I just reassembled and kept going. I'll do pads and rotors sometime, whenever these wear out...keep thinking, "eh, maybe another 10k left on them..." but they just keep going.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I have 84k hard / towing miles on my 08 & the original pads are still going strong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, seems awfully soon - mixed driving and no towing. Need to pull it all apart but front rotors are definitely warped and squeak a little. I bought it with 14-15k on the clock so no idea how the previous driver mashed the fat + skinny pedals.

I'd rather be ready when I get it jacked up than scramble for the right parts.

Thanks again guys,

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
These guys say their OEM's are great. I don't know if it's my driving style or what, but I went through 2 sets of OEM rotors in less than 90k miles. Changed to R1 rotors and ceramic pads, and 60k later they're not warped. The rotors are great, the pads are meh until I can get them heated up. I will be moving to EBC pads at some point, but I'm very happy with the R1 rotors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
these guys say their oem's are great. I don't know if it's my driving style or what, but i went through 2 sets of oem rotors in less than 90k miles. Changed to r1 rotors and ceramic pads, and 60k later they're not warped. The rotors are great, the pads are meh until i can get them heated up. I will be moving to ebc pads at some point, but i'm very happy with the r1 rotors.
^+1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tried R1 drilled and slotted with their brake pads (around $500) and they warped within 6 months. Bought the cheap OEM rotors from Nissan for $70/each and have had them for over 2 years with no problems.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
I used Bosch rotors and pads on my Gen I. Huge improvement over the OEM. Why I waited until 80k to do them is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Tried R1 drilled and slotted with their brake pads (around $500) and they warped within 6 months. Bought the cheap OEM rotors from Nissan for $70/each and have had them for over 2 years with no problems.
I stayed away from drilled. I did get slotted just to move dust away, but I personally feel like drilled rotors dissipate heat too fast for normal (non-racing) vehicles. The fast heat cycles are what cause warping and cracking.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lots of this. OEM or powerstop. I spent an assload on drilled and slotted ones, they sucked balls. didnt make it to 20k. powerstops the last 30k and barely look broken in.

·
Registered
474 Posts
^^^^+1 did the same one my 1st gen and never warped.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh also used thermo quiet pads and never had a problem. I did brakes every 40k, just to grease the pins before they had a chance to seized

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I will throw my .02C in and give my opinion and results.

First set of brakes put on the T I went ahead and ordered slotted and drilled rotors from a forum vendor can't recall the vendor but believe they were powerstop brakes.
I was pretty pleased once I installed them mainly because the old rotors were warped and you could really tell coming to a stop. After install and bedding of the pads there was no more of that. I was pleased with the longevity and I know I got the front set turned at a Midas probably 1yr 1.5yr after install. I cant recall if the back was able to be cut or not.

When it came time to replace the rotors I did not have the $ for powerstop and I went to the local autozone and was looking at and discussing their warranty with the salesman. Im not sure what changed in their policy or if it is only my local AZ but you buy rotors 2yr warranty, 3yr warranty 1 yr warranty and take them in when they get back (before the warranty is up) and they will replace them up to one time. I went ahead and went this route with their gold rotors I believe and their 2nd or highest teir lifetime pads.
I rode these pads/rotors harder and they lasted longer than the first slotted/drilled set that I bought. I got the front rotors replaced right before they went out of warranty nearly 2 yrs, and I am nearing another 1.5yr 2yrs and a rotor/pad swap. If the policy is still the same I will be putting AZ rotors back on. They do what I need and cant beat the longevity and being able to replace them within the warranty.

Hope this helps
Also taking the time to make sure the caliper and all the components to it are clean and operate as they should really helps extend the life on your braking components

1 - 18 of 18 Posts