Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if someone has presented this issue. Every once in a while it seems as though my brakes go out. It sounds and feels like there arent any pads. I pull over and turn the engine off for about a minute and they go back to normal. Is this something in the ABS system. Others have had this problem when I checked in to it a long time ago but I didn't persue getting it fixed. This is on my 2006 Titan LE.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
There's a TSB for it I'm pretty sure, although I don't know how long it's been out and if you'd be covered. Happens to me too, I just haven't taken the truck in to have it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if someone has presented this issue. Every once in a while it seems as though my brakes go out. It sounds and feels like there arent any pads. I pull over and turn the engine off for about a minute and they go back to normal. Is this something in the ABS system. Others have had this problem when I checked in to it a long time ago but I didn't persue getting it fixed. This is on my 2006 Titan LE.
First generation Titans are notorious for lousy brakes. The brakes are there but feels like you are pushing the pedal to the floor. A little scary actually. I solved that problem by replacing brake pads and rotors all around. Nissan has been aware of this problem from the start, but have failed to do anything about it. And yes, this solved my braking problem. Just a little expensive though. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,021 Posts
The problem is in the brake booster. I believe it is called the delta stroke sensor. Nissan is well aware of this issue and lost a lawsuit over it. Check with your dealer to see if they'll work with you on it. Replacing a brake booster isn't that difficult, but I think there was reprogramming that went along with it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
First generation Titans are notorious for lousy brakes. The brakes are there but feels like you are pushing the pedal to the floor. A little scary actually. I solved that problem by replacing brake pads and rotors all around. Nissan has been aware of this problem from the start, but have failed to do anything about it. And yes, this solved my braking problem. Just a little expensive though. Good luck.
He's talking about an actual problem where the vehicle thinks there's an issue with the braking system. For me, the brake light comes on and the ABS kicks in if I press the brakes more than 10% or so. Turning the truck off for 15-20 seconds then back on corrects it. It happens to me maybe 2-3 times a year, so when I get to the point where I can take it to the dealer I've forgotten about it.

·
Premium Member
19,021 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
He's talking about an actual problem where the vehicle thinks there's an issue with the braking system. For me, the brake light comes on and the ABS kicks in if I press the brakes more than 10% or so. Turning the truck off for 15-20 seconds then back on corrects it. It happens to me maybe 2-3 times a year, so when I get to the point where I can take it to the dealer I've forgotten about it.
My 2015 KC has done this twice too. Also fixed with turning it off and back on. Pretty bad failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brake light comes on also. I pull over turn the engine off. Wait a few seconds. Turn engine back on and it’s ok. Doesn’t happen very often but when it does it’s a nuisance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I replaced the front pads and rotors last weekend and took it for a test drive. Mild to moderate braking action was much improved over the worn set. However as a torture test I decided to find a deserted country road and accelerate to 70mph and apply maximum braking pressure. It did stop quickly and then bottomed out and started making the sound like the antilock was trying to compensate for something unknown followed by the "Brake" and "ABS" CEL lights on the information cluster. The brakes have always been moderate to sketchy since new but now I have the added knowledge that when I really need emergency braking action to avoid danger they will completely fail. This does not induce a warm and fuzzy feeling for me.

So if I bring it in to the dealer for the TSB and they flash the ECU will I lose my custom performance tune or is the ABS in a separate module?

·
Premium Member
19,021 Posts
Well I replaced the front pads and rotors last weekend and took it for a test drive. Mild to moderate braking action was much improved over the worn set. However as a torture test I decided to find a deserted country road and accelerate to 70mph and apply maximum braking pressure. It did stop quickly and then bottomed out and started making the sound like the antilock was trying to compensate for something unknown followed by the "Brake" and "ABS" CEL lights on the information cluster. The brakes have always been moderate to sketchy since new but now I have the added knowledge that when I really need emergency braking action to avoid danger they will completely fail. This does not induce a warm and fuzzy feeling for me.

So if I bring it in to the dealer for the TSB and they flash the ECU will I lose my custom performance tune or is the ABS in a separate module?
Better safe, than sorry. I would remove the tune, put in back to stock, just in case. My dealer never had a problem with my tune, but I don't recall having a flash applied either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts