Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an interesting issue with my brakes right now. I just recently replaced the rear pads myself and put the break squeak stop goo on the backside of the pads like your supposed too. Broke them in by doing a few hard stops from 50 down to about 10.

The front pads are close to new but didnt have the stuff on the backside of the pad, so i took them off and put some of the goo on the backsides of those to stop the squeaking..

Im expierencing break squeak from 20 down to 0 mph... interesting thing is it only happens when the breaks are "cold" or the truck has been sitting for a little bit. If i have been driving for a couple minutes and used the brakes a good bit the squeak goes away...

Any ideas???

·
Registered
740 Posts
Probably just surface rust on the rotors. This is normal and if it goes away and stays away after warming up the brakes than I would not worry about it too much. Rotors often rust on the surface, especially after sitting for an extended period of time and it takes a few stops for the pads to clean off the rust. No big deal at all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, im not sure though. They will squeak again if its only been sitting for 20 minutes... that's some quick surface rust.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM Nissan Pads and Rotors, have had a few people tell me that sometimes certain brake pad materials will squeak till they are warmed up a bit

·
Frozen Rotors
209 Posts
Thats the problem right there! You can read about the experiences other readers have had with Titan Brakes on this forum. You may want to consider switching to the Hawk LTS pads and using the Frozen Rotor Cryogeniclly treated rotors BEFORE they start to warp. Because they will warp ! How many miles are on your truck and brakes?

Keith
Frozen Rotors - High Performance Brake Pads, Brake Rotors

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truck has 151,800 miles.... just replaced the rear brake pads about 3,000 miles ago.... Fronts were replaced maybe 5 or 6k ago. Have rechecked both pads and they still have a ton of pad left so i know its not the wear indicators. Next time i need brakes ill probably get something else.

·
Frozen Rotors
209 Posts
Then I would take them apart and THOROUGHLY clean all the shims and anti rattle springs on the upper and lower parts of the calipers. Then use a HI temp brake grease on the top, bottom and back side of the pads. I have found that 99% of all squeaks, squeals and other annoying sounds come from improperly cleaned and lubricated caliper parts and backing plates of the pads. That goop you said you used, will do nothing but GLUE the pad to the pistons, the rest of the pad still has to move freely within the caliper. I'd also clean and lube the carrier pins that allow the caliper to move back and forth on the carrier. The carrier is usually bolted to the suspension upright by 2 or more rather large bolts.

Hope this helps.

Keith
[email protected]

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I also just replaced my OEM rotor's & pad's w/ a set of Frozen Rotor's slotted cryo's & Hawk LTS's. I absolutely love them! Before when i had the crappy OEM rotor's every time i would come to a stop i had horrible steering wheel "death wobble"! Now it is gone & the stopping power is greatly improved over the stocker's. Great Product! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts