Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to remove the oil filter on the offroad models you have to remove the skid plate.
There are 4 bolts the two up front need to be removed and the two rear ones can be just loosened to ge the metal plate off.
Well I loosened one of the front ones a good three turns and the the head snapped off.
Very very weird. I have broken hundreds of bolts before but it usually happened from over tightening and sometimes when trying to loosen the bolt but this bolt was already on its way out (was several turns out) before it snapped. Anyway it was a PITA since I had to drill it out and then tap in another screw. 10min oil change took me an hour.

·
Registered
273 Posts
At least you did it yourself. I had a place do the same thing and they didn't even tell me. I noticed about 2 hours into the trip I was taking. Very common I guess with these.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No theres a rather large skid plate right below the filter. I have a very early 04 model. So maybe it was changed. My Titan in fact is the 4x4 offroad but doesn't have a locking diff (probably why my diff hasn't blown up) and has the 18" wheels. So its got some differences from others I have seen.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
i have a very early 04 (feb 04 build date), it has the off road pkg and all off-road equipped TITANS have a small access panel on the skid plate that has 4 torx bolts for access to the oil filter.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i have to take off my entire skid plate because i have no access panel AND it's not an off road model. that panel is a pain in the a$s anyways, because i always get all cut up when tryng to change my sister's oil filter on her xterra. and for the bolt im pretty sure you can find at any hardware store.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
my guess is that its not an off-road equipped TITAN.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
first off, after doing some searching on this site, there are lots of people w/ 04's that do not have the off road equipped TITAN that have to remove a "skid plate" to access their filter. im thinking that this is the case. secondly, an "off-road 4x4" sticker is not the definitive sign that its actually an off road equipped TITAN.

does it have fog lights? does it have tow hooks? these are the things to look for to help determine what packages your 04 came w/.

not trying to be an a$$, just trying to help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it has foglights (but all SE and LE has this) mine is LE. And yes I have tow hooks. I also have the big tow package. And whats with the "" on skidplate? You think mines not a "real" skidplate? Its a pretty hefty piece of metal that I have skidded on a few times.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did the same thing and so have many others on this forum. As far as I can tell it’s just too easy to snap the head off these bolts. Not to mention if the stealer over tightened the bolts during one of the many oil changes before I finally decided to do it myself.

I just drilled a small hole in the bolt and used an easy out. Only took 4 minutes to remove. What took the time was drive time and finding the correct bolt at home depot, which I finally did. I forget the exact size. Someone said what it was on another thread. Also the way the bolts are made is they have that little groove for the washer. All it dose it create a weak spot for the bolt head to shear off , dumb design.

Some pin head engineer must of calculated the weight of the skid plate when coming up with the size of those bolts. They could stand to be a bit larger if you ask me…

But the ramp under the oil filer sure is nice!

Also mine is an 04 and I have no access panel in the skid plate...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Ok, just to clear some things up.

ALL 4x4 models are equipped with a skidplate of some sorts.

The NON-OFFROAD version is a much lighter version, made of steel, and is not clearly visible with a quick glance. You have to remove two bolts and loosen two others to remove it for access to the oil filter. There is no access panel in this plate. It's painted black. Not extremely heavy or awkward to deal with IMHO. Wouldn't really take much of a hit to deform it. No special brackets to mount this plate.

ALL 4x4 OFFROAD package equipped Titans come with the larger, ALUMINUM, grayish colored skidplate that wraps up around the bottom of the front bumper. It is plainly visible to see. All the OR skids have an oil filter access panel, as it would add another 20 mins to your oil change if you had to remove the skidplate. These plates use a special bracket for the upper mounts that attach to the tow hook mounting bolt holes.

Not all SE's have fog lights. Mine doesn't. It is pre-wired for them though-I believe 2005+SE's were prewired. 2004's were not.

ALL LE models DO have fog lights.

Early 2004 OFF-ROAD equipped Titans did not have the E-locker as has been already stated.

ALL OFF-ROAD equipped Titans came equpped with 17" wheels w/ the BFG Rugged Trail tires from the factory.

ALL 4x4's came equipped with Tow Hooks, so that's not a very accurate way of determining which package it has.

Based on your description ucf_motorcycle, it would appear that your truck simply has had the 4x4 OFF-ROAD sticker applied to it. You definitely have the NON-OR skidplate, and 18" wheels, so I'd bet that it's a 2004 SE model truck.

DID YOU BUY THIS TRUCK NEW???

Picture of an OFF-ROAD Skidplate:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
54warrior said:

The NON-OFFROAD version is a much lighter version, made of steel, and is not clearly visible with a quick glance. You have to remove two bolts and loosen two others to remove it for access to the oil filter. There is no access panel in this plate. It's painted black. Not extremely heavy or awkward to deal with IMHO. Wouldn't really take much of a hit to deform it. No special brackets to mount this plate.

:

Exactly what I HAD on my 4x2. When the bolt broke off it never went back on. My gas mileage increased by 3 mpg. :jester:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
54warrior said:

ALL 4x4 models are equipped with a skidplate of some sorts.

ALL 4x4 OFFROAD package equipped Titans come with the larger, ALUMINUM, grayish colored skidplate that wraps up around the bottom of the front bumper. It is plainly visible to see. All the OR skids have an oil filter access panel, as it would add another 20 mins to your oil change if you had to remove the skidplate. These plates use a special bracket for the upper mounts that attach to the tow hook mounting bolt holes.

Not all SE's have fog lights. Mine doesn't. It is pre-wired for them though-I believe 2005+SE's were prewired. 2004's were not.

ALL LE models DO have fog lights.

Early 2004 OFF-ROAD equipped Titans did not have the E-locker as has been already stated.

ALL OFF-ROAD equipped Titans came equpped with 17" wheels w/ the BFG Rugged Trail tires from the factory.

ALL 4x4's came equipped with Tow Hooks, so that's not a very accurate way of determining which package it has.

Based on your description ucf_motorcycle, it would appear that your truck simply has had the 4x4 OFF-ROAD sticker applied to it. You definitely have the NON-OR skidplate, and 18" wheels, so I'd bet that it's a 2004 SE model truck.

DID YOU BUY THIS TRUCK NEW???

Picture of an OFF-ROAD Skidplate:
No it was purchased used and its an LE. So I guess it doens't. have the 4x4 package. I prefer the 18" wheels anyway and with my Toyo MT's on it it looks plenty offroad.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
ucf, as mentioned i was just trying to give you info. by my quote marks, i was merely trying to convey that it was probably not the OR skid plate but the standard 4x4 skid plate that did not include the access panel.

warrior, thanks for detailing the model specific info. that was what i should have done from the start to avoid my coming across wrong. also, i honestly thought that the tow hooks were just standard on the OR pkg. not all 4x4's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
coondog20110 said:
Exactly what I HAD on my 4x2. When the bolt broke off it never went back on. My gas mileage increased by 3 mpg. :jester:
Would that leave the engine open to damage??? I like the idea of taking it off would probably run cooler as well. I am just worried about damage to hoses or belts. Thanks:cheers:

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
DOUBLEDW said:
Would that leave the engine open to damage??? I like the idea of taking it off would probably run cooler as well. I am just worried about damage to hoses or belts. Thanks:cheers:

Only if you hit something!!!:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
only good thing about bringing it to the dealer for service is that if they break it they fix it. I brought mine in for service and noticed that the access plate on the skid pan was 1 screw short (tech said it was stripped). I called the dealer to tell them to fix it. They had to order a new access plate with 4 screws and they fixed it. Cost me nothing but another 5 minute trip to dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
cneary812 said:
only good thing about bringing it to the dealer for service is that if they break it they fix it. I brought mine in for service and noticed that the access plate on the skid pan was 1 screw short (tech said it was stripped). I called the dealer to tell them to fix it. They had to order a new access plate with 4 screws and they fixed it. Cost me nothing but another 5 minute trip to dealer.

I changed my oil for the first time since I bought the truck ('04 LE, had previously only been changed by dealer). Well, I discovered that of the 4 bolts holding the skid plate on 2 were broken off and a third one was stripped and was unable to remove. So they basically left me with one good bolt. Funny they never mentioned it to me and also didn't bother fixing it. So when I take it back for inspection in a month they will be fixing that problem as well. IT's not that they broke them, afterall it's a very poor (cheap) design, but just fix it. I'm sure it wasn't the first, or only, time this happened to them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts