Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, the driver's side vents stopped blowing hot air. Passenger's side works fine. Took it to the Nissan dealership yesterday. They initially said it was a malfunctioning actuator, which I agreed to let them replace for $700. They called back a little later and said it was actually that the arm beneath the actuator that controls the door inside the heater box. They would need to replace the entire HVAC box assembly, which will take several days and cost $2300. I declined the work. I live in the south and having a hobbled heater isn't the end of the world. Plus, with the passenger's side working correctly, I can play with the dual zone thermostat to help deal with the problem. My question is about any hacks that might further help alleviate this problem.

Can I block the vents on the drivers side to keep the cold air from coming out during the winter? Any easy way to disable the vents entirely?

And the big question - would this broken arm affect the A/C this summer? I'm hoping since it controls the "heater box" that maybe it won't affect the cold air this summer. Obviously, that would be a deal-breaker here in Alabama.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week, the driver's side vents stopped blowing hot air. Passenger's side works fine. Took it to the Nissan dealership yesterday. They initially said it was a malfunctioning actuator, which I agreed to let them replace for $700. They called back a little later and said it was actually that the arm beneath the actuator that controls the door inside the heater box. They would need to replace the entire HVAC box assembly, which will take several days and cost $2300. I declined the work. I live in the south and having a hobbled heater isn't the end of the world. Plus, with the passenger's side working correctly, I can play with the dual zone thermostat to help deal with the problem. My question is about any hacks that might further help alleviate this problem.

Can I block the vents on the drivers side to keep the cold air from coming out during the winter? Any easy way to disable the vents entirely?

And the big question - would this broken arm affect the A/C this summer? I'm hoping since it controls the "heater box" that maybe it won't affect the cold air this summer. Obviously, that would be a deal-breaker here in Alabama.

Thanks in advance!
This happened to mine as well...but its the passenger side. Did you ever do anything to it? I have the broken piece and may try to glue it. I can move the flap manually as it is on the bottom of heater box.

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
He only came here and posted about that one issue and never came back again so I’d doubt you’ll get a response. That was four years ago.

Clint

·
Registered
6 Posts
He only came here and posted about that one issue and never came back again so I’d doubt you’ll get a response. That was four years ago.

Clint
Thanks. I am gonna try and glue the broken lever back together and see what happens.
Would like to know if I can pry and remove the small part that is connected to the blend door inside the case.
At the moment I can move it manually back and forth for heat or cool.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Thanks. I am gonna try and glue the broken lever back together and see what happens.
Would like to know if I can pry and remove the small part that is connected to the blend door inside the case.
At the moment I can move it manually back and forth for heat or cool.

Thanks
I don’t have an answer on that but if you break it more you’ll have a real dilemma. Can you glue it in place to eliminate making it worse? How did it originally break? I’m wondering how brittle it is too. I’m thinking something like JB Weld or other epoxy putty to wrap it in to add strength.
I never looked under my dash in that area to know what that part looks like, I just know sometimes it’s best to leave it alone or it can go wrong real fast as I learned that lesson a few times with the best of intentions. Good luck.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t have an answer on that but if you break it more you’ll have a real dilemma. Can you glue it in place to eliminate making it worse? How did it originally break? I’m wondering how brittle it is too. I’m thinking something like JB Weld or other epoxy putty to wrap it in to add strength.
I never looked under my dash in that area to know what that part looks like, I just know sometimes it’s best to leave it alone or it can go wrong real fast as I learned that lesson a few times with the best of intentions. Good luck.

Clint
Thanks. That is what I think I will do. Just would be easier if the broken piece would pull out

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Even if it would pull out you’d still need to access the other side of press it together. How did it break?

Clint

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,682 Posts
oh man, that's going to be tough to glue without glueing the part that rotates in place. maybe you can finely drill a hole in it and screw another arm onto the end?

i agree with clint though, i would be more inclined to not try anything as it will probably break more and then you will be in big trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts