Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo I think I just toasted the rear end, I'm hoping someone has advice. Yesterday I had to smash the throttle because some idiot wasn't paying attention and almost rear ended me while i was stopped. Needless to say it did a one wheel wonder on me and when it caught traction it made a loud thunk noise. Well, as I was driving I heard a loud chatter from the rear end. Parked it. Today I drain the rear diff fluid, and the drain plug has a lil bit of metal shavings. I was kinda happy about that. I removed the diff cover and I see a huge chunk of metal sitting on the bottom of the diff. Its from the pinion. I'll try and uplaod the pics I took. What happens now??? PLease tell me its driveable. Thanks in advanced

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Man thats nothing!

Thats how mine looked last year. Problem was fixed for sure now.

But you'll need a new ring and pinion for sure. Try car-part.com and don't drive it. It'll just end up stranding you somewhere when the rear end does finally go out completely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Poop lol that actually kinda makes me feel better. I'm still pissed though. I was hoping it would've just been the spiders so I could talk the wife into letting me get a True Trac. I appreciate the immediate response. Thanks for the link also.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What ratio do you have? There is a shop here locally to me I can call and see if they have a R&P set for you. They do a ton of titan stuff. It was an easy fix for me as in I put in a sterling 10.5 axle lol. If you just swap out the R&P all you'll need are new pinion bearings/crush washer and seal. No need to remove the carrier bearings to swap out the ring gear.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Was it an easy fix when you eventually got everything done?
The problem with the fix is that Nissan doesn't sell ring & pinion sets so you are chasing used parts or, if 2wd, you can go aftermarket and changing axle ratio. A place like Arizona Differential that does a lot of gear swaps may have good oem ratio used R&P sets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What ratio do you have? There is a shop here locally to me I can call and see if they have a R&P set for you. They do a ton of titan stuff. It was an easy fix for me as in I put in a sterling 10.5 axle lol. If you just swap out the R&P all you'll need are new pinion bearings/crush washer and seal. No need to remove the carrier bearings to swap out the ring gear.
I don't know exactly. I have 4WD but no e-locker. I checked on car-part.com and it said 2.937 with no locker. They have an 05 R&P for 200 down in KY. 10.5 Man that's great, wish I had the money for some goodies like that. How much do you think it'll run me, the bearings and washers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with the fix is that Nissan doesn't sell ring & pinion sets so you are chasing used parts or, if 2wd, you can go aftermarket and changing axle ratio. A place like Arizona Differential that does a lot of gear swaps may have good oem ratio used R&P sets.
Yeah good point, this sucks man. I love 4WD but sometimes I wish I had done 2WD. A lot less head ache. I just want this fixed for now so I can drive it, then when I can afford it I'll do something better with the T. My Job is screwing me royally so My family and I are living off one income and we have a 19 month old daughter and another one on the way. cheap and easy is what I'm going for lol

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Does anyone make new stronger R&P sets for our Trucks? I mean 4WD front and rear.
I have not read about anybody actually getting front gears yet, but ruggedrocks was apparently working on it.

Nissan Titan Front (M205) Differential Gears?!? - Blog | Rugged Rocks Off Road - Nissan Off Road Parts and Accessories

Nissan Titan - Differential Gears

Also, I dunno if these work for 2008+ or what you may have to do with the yoke, so you should definitely check the details with ruggedrocks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Count the number of pinion teeth and ring teeth and divide the ring by the pinion. It'll tell you your ratio. I don't see why people don't run the sterling rear axle like cnallick and I did. Especially now that the 2011 superdutys come stock with 3.31 gearing... to match the front 3.36.. Get some 6x5.5-8x170 wheel adapters to adapt the front and you're set.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Count the number of pinion teeth and ring teeth and divide the ring by the pinion. It'll tell you your ratio. I don't see why people don't run the sterling rear axle like cnallick and I did. Especially now that the 2011 superdutys come stock with 3.31 gearing... to match the front 3.36.. Get some 6x5.5-8x170 wheel adapters to adapt the front and you're set.
I just got back in front tearing down the rear end. I'll count them tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Where's the best place to get the Sterling axles? I'm gonna look into them before I put everything back togther, might be worth my while to just swap new ones. Moneys tight though so I doubt these axles are in my near future lol. All I would need would be 2 Sterling axles front and rear and its set? Obviously there's a lil bit of custom work for them to fit correct?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
To the OP...how do the spyder gears look?.....They usually fail first taking out other parts including R&P teeth....

Consider a Tru-Trac to replace those spyder gears...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To the OP...how do the spyder gears look?.....They usually fail first taking out other parts including R&P teeth....

Consider a Tru-Trac to replace those spyder gears...
Surprisingly they look good. A few of em look like they chewed up something but none are broken. I am def. considering the TT. I started looking, trying to find lowest price. Any good sites in mind?

·
Registered
563 Posts
On the e-locker models it'll chew up the spider gears first, non e-locker models the carriers are stronger so it'll take out the R&P. Tru-tracs are too expensive IMO. Might as well spend a few hundred more and get an entirely stronger axle all together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the e-locker models it'll chew up the spider gears first, non e-locker models the carriers are stronger so it'll take out the R&P. Tru-tracs are too expensive IMO. Might as well spend a few hundred more and get an entirely stronger axle all together.
So lets say I have 2.94 gears, what would I have to do to get the sterling axle to work? Im guessing changing the front gears to BT and a lil fab work right?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts